Canoe choice for a Henderson Lk.-Duck Hole trip

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat T

Reaction score
Looking ahead to the summer, we are trying to plan a Henderson Lake to Duck Hole (ADKs) trip. We'll be taking a Hornbeck on this trip but have to get another canoe. We plan to do this as a day trip.

Does anyone on this board have experience with the Placid Boatworks Spit Fire canoe? I paddled one and was impressed with its maneuverability and comfortable seating. I'm wondering how it would do on the carry between Henderson and Duck Hole. The canoe maker suggests carrying it on one shoulder and I'm wondering how that is over rough terrain. I carry my Hornbeck on my head for moderate distances (less than 1 mile) but will probably get the frame that attaches to a backpack for this trip. I'm thinking that using treking poles would be helpful so would need a "hands-free" way to carry the canoe. Not sure if the frame for hands-free carrying is a possibility with the Spit Fire. If we don't get the Spit Fire, we'll probably get another Hornbeck, but I am open to other possibilities.

Thanks for any help.

Pat T

Pat T said:
Looking ahead to the summer, we are trying to plan a Henderson Lake to Duck Hole (ADKs) trip. We'll be taking a Hornbeck on this trip but have to get another canoe. We plan to do this as a day trip.

Does anyone on this board have experience with the Placid Boatworks Spit Fire canoe? I paddled one and was impressed with its maneuverability and comfortable seating. I'm wondering how it would do on the carry between Henderson and Duck Hole. The canoe maker suggests carrying it on one shoulder and I'm wondering how that is over rough terrain. I carry my Hornbeck on my head for moderate distances (less than 1 mile) but will probably get the frame that attaches to a backpack for this trip. I'm thinking that using treking poles would be helpful so would need a "hands-free" way to carry the canoe. Not sure if the frame for hands-free carrying is a possibility with the Spit Fire. If we don't get the Spit Fire, we'll probably get another Hornbeck, but I am open to other possibilities.

Thanks for any help.

Pat T
I did that trip to Duck Hole, and many other considerably longer portage trips with a Hornbeck last summer. Definitely get or make a rigid overhead backpack canoe mount for hands free carrying and you will go far with ease. I use a Knu-Pac with a rigid stabilizing rod. On-the-shoulder carrying for any distance is do-able but comparatively difficult and awkward with a large backpack; definitely a pain in comparison to the ease of overhead rigid mounting.

I paddled the SpitFire and RapidFire after witnessing the RF's impressive results in the 90 Miler race last September. Joe used a foam tube over the gunwale to run the portages with the boat on his shoulder, without an interfering backpack. I liked the performance of the larger RapidFire better for open water. Both weigh significantly more than the Hornbeck, due largely to their more eye pleasing gel-coat. Both 'Fires are fast beauties and pleasures to paddle.

My normal backcountry travel mode is bushwhack pondhopping with lots of portages over blowdown. I am greatly tempted to get one of the 'Fires for the sheer paddling joy and speed of it. But for pondhopping much distance I'll stick with the lightweight and convenience of the Hornbeck. For rough water I use a custom spray cover. By the way, Pete Hornbeck has several new models this year as well. So if you haven't been there lately, definitely pay him a visit.

Last edited: