Carrigain Notch to Notch Bog, and failed Carrigain climb

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattl

Reaction score
What an amazing adventure. Can also be called stupid since it is rutting season and we went to one of the highest density moose locations in New England. Also near where 3 years ago I was almost killed, and was actually the same exact date... Anyway. Carrigain Notch was beautiful as we climbed through, with some very nice folliage before you start climbing. Over the notch, it was actually pretty dry, and I was surprised. We reached Notch Brook a an hour and started our wild bushwhack. The only reason I went back here is because the guy I was hiking with wanted to see a beautiful wild place, and I wanted to show him that. We bushacking into the bog and immediatly there were ruts everywhere and hundreds if not litterally thousands of moose tracks. It is the moose mecca of New England, I have ever seen. We continued through the notch which has sweeping views of Carrigain and Vos Spur. The Bonds also show themselves pretty well. Towards the end of the bog I started to get frightended..by all the moose sign.
There were runs, where the bulls where going back and forth in, and ruts on trees everywhere. It was not the right place to be. We bushwhacked through thick fir after coming out to the confluence of the East Branch and Notch Brook. A beautiful place. My hiking buddy Landon spoke up saying this place was more like a small piece of Alaska then New Hampshire.
The moose must have been bedding, because we hadn't seen one yet, which was amazing. We set up camp on a small gravel bar and prepared wood for the night. I was worried about having a bad encounter with a bull that night, so we got a lot of wood for a big fire. After we explored around the area we ate dinner and went to bed. Sleep came off and on, until I finally fell asleep at 2 am. Well, at 4 am I was quickly awakened by loud huffing right behind our tent. I froze and listend as I knew what it was. Then the bull walked into the steam which was literally less then 10 feet from us. I woke landon up and we both listend in terror as he sloshed around in the water. I told landon to open the tent so we could see him, but he was too scared to open it as the moose was so close to us. The bull finally stormed its way up the hill breaking through trees as he left. That was the end of my sleep. I knew we had to get out of there fast, or that morning we would have a worse encounter. When first light came, we threw our stuff together and got out of there. Bushwhacking down the East Branch, it was cloudy, foggy and light rain, so we decided to not do Carrigain. We somehow and I dont know how...managed to get to the Nancy Pond trail without running into a moose. We got back to the car at 10 am and went home to get a warm shower. I have pics dont have webshots, so I cant post them. It was an amazing adventure. We were lucky nothing worse happend. Because I still remembered three years ago and what they are capable of. -Mattl
ps : I dare someone to go there in the next two weeks and camp :)

(URL omitted by Moderator - link to a page where poster's book available for sale)

Last edited by a moderator:
As beautiful as your pics are, I'm glad I wasn't there. I don't fancy the thoughts of rutting moose. When I went with you to that area over Memorial Day weekend, we saw three moose and one amost tripped over the tent. That was enough up close and personal wildlife for me that year. Again, there are few places in NH more beautiful but I'll go for a dayhike sometime...not a campout.

grouseking

You set up camp less than 10 feet from a stream? In the Pemi? Hmmmm.

Wow, first the moose encounter, then the bear encounter, and now the moose encounter again. Hey man, you gotta get some earplugs so you can get some sleep when you camp in the bush.

Man, you do love that moose rutting story, doncha'? :D

Well at least it wasn't a Big, Big Fire less than 10 feet from the stream. (kidding)
Sounds like a nice area I would like to check out.