Carrigain via Signal Ridge Tr. 1/11/10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkL

Reaction score
Canton, NY. Avatar: Mt. Washington in Winter:
Sawyer River Road well packed by snowmobiles. Barebooted it. --Put on snowshoes at start of SigRT. There were fairly recent tracks, but there weren't enough previous people to make a completely uniformly stomped out track. I tried to step on what they'd missed. --First stream crossing, the wider of the two, was mostly on bare rocks. Tails of shoes dragged in water, but I didn't notice any clumping afterwards. Second crossing was iced over, but mostly I stayed on the ice w/rocks visible underneath. Twice I tried just plain ice. The second time I heard a bit of a creaking-cracking sound, but didn't go through. (Gross weight ~210 lbs. ) --Trail well defined til first bump (w/small clearing and view of Mt. Lowell) After that, it was drifted over most of the way to the summit. At times there was no tracen of it and I had to guess. Only one major wrong guess. :) I smoothed over the first 5' of that mistaken left, but by now everything may be blown over again.