Catskill Region, Page 179

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
Hey,
Looking to do Balsam Cap pretty soon and was wondering if anyone could clear something up for me....
Am a little confused by what the ADK Catskill Region book (#8) says about the following...

"On the west side of the ridge, Balsam Cap can be approached from the upper section of the East Branch of the Neversink via a herd path. The stream running east at 2.75 miles makes a reasonable ascent route."

The stream mentioned must be on the east side of the mountain, right?...and does not run down into the Neversink, right? I've been along the East Branch of the Neversink there but not as far as to reach Balsam. I might look for this "herd path" mentioned above (if at all possible with snow on the ground) but I just want to know if I should also be looking for this stream.

The East Branch of the Neversink originates on the western slopes of Friday/Balsam Cap..Two tributaries enter from the Balsam Cap/Friday col and The Balsam Cap/Rocky col...The former leads directly towards BC's summit...THe continuation of the Fishermans Path that follows the Neversink from Denning heads to the col between Slide and Cornell and can also be followed..So..follow the Fishermans Path along the Neversink to the spot where 2 streams join it and take the one that comes from the East..The Neversink is on the left coming from the NE and the Rocky/BC drainage is on the right flowing from the S

Last edited:
Thanks Hikes.
Do you happen to know what the col is like between Rocky and Balsam Cap? Choked with Balsams or pretty open like between Rocky and Lone?

Lots of Spruces, blowdown, thick, some ledges by Rocky, many bears, bobcats, coyotes,and shrews. A wild and wonderful place.

Chris,

If you approach from the direction you're describing, climb until just below the col. The col between the peaks is 'thick-ish', and unless you pick up the herdpath between the peaks, you might be better staying below the col.
I'd sure defer to what Mudhook, the 3500 club canister maintainer suggests, though.