Catskills, various trips and snow/ice conditions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caveman77

Reaction score
Table / Peekamoose / Lone / Rocky / Balsam Cap from Denning

Date of Hike: 4/17/2013

Trail Conditions: Dry until the river crossings. Some minor ice patches as low as 2300 ft (of elevation), but don't become more frequent until around 3500 ft. Near complete snow/ice cover about 3700 ft. On trail, it's ice; off trail it's snow. Snow is rarely more than six inches deep. Microspikes very helpful for the ice (Table/Peekamoose). Snowshoes useful for the trailless peaks (especially the BC-Friday col area), but they're not worth the weight. The river was high - I took off my boots and forded barefoot.

Slide from Denning via Curtis-Ormsbee Trail

Date of Hike: 4/18/2013

Trail Conditions: Ice patches starting at 3000 feet for a bit; above that, clear dry trail until a conifer forest with snow + ice around 3600-3700 feet, then clear again in the deciduous forest, then back to 12-18 inches packed snow above 3800 feet. Few postholes. Temperature was 39 F at the summit for me. Microspikes - very helpful. Snowshoes may be helpful in warmer temperatures with softening snow, but with the current forecast and season, the trail will turning to postholed mashed potatoes tomorrow anyway.

Fir from Biscuit Brook parking area, to lean-to, off-trail to summit

Date of Hike: 4/18/2013

Trail conditions: Dry. Completely snow free to the summit (3620 feet) on the south-facing slope. Microspikes + snowshoes - absolutely useless.

Diamond Notch from Spruceton Road to Diamond Notch Road

Date of Hike: 4/19/2013

Trail conditions: The river at Diamond Notch Falls was high; there is no bridge (since 2011) in case you're headed to Westkill; I took off my boots and forded barefoot. On trail, patches of ice began as low as 2300 feet. I felt as though traction (microspikes) is essential above 2600 feet on the north side of Diamond Notch.

Name: Steve