Chic Choc Conditions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Hartigan

Reaction score
I am heading up to the Gaspe next week and was wondering if anybody has been recently. I will be looking to do some skiing so info on snow conditions would be great. I have been monitering their park and avy websites but some firsthand is always better. Snow has held up well at the higher elevations around here( Northern VT)but this weekend has been very warm. I'm hoping that being further north the Mont Albert region will stay cooler. Any info is welcome, thanks.

I just returned this week.
My group had two feet of fresh powder (unbelievable powder in April) our first two days. The avy danger sky rocketed for several days, until the snow consolidated and bonded to the old layer. We were forced to ski trees all week after digging a pit and assessing how easily it slid. I got personal with a few tree wells, as you can see from the avitar photo. I measured the snow with my avy probe at La Carouge and found 7 feet. We had some of the best powder turns ever in the east, but towards the end of the week the snow developed a suncrust and then became a breakable crust. Maybe with all the rain and warm weather you will get corn conditions.

Pete Hickey put 3 of my pix up at his web site

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/lobster/lob3.html

Nadine