Cliff, Redfield, Gray & Skylight -2/26/13

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TelemarkMike

Reaction score
A weather repeat of yesterday. Still no wind and mild temps. I decided to climb Cliff and Redfield from Upper Works. I left Rev at home because of the icy cliffs. She's already done Cliff in the summer, and I'm sure she would have liked to try in winter, but I didn't want that.

I started out at 6:35 and was at Flowed Lands in 1.5 hours and Uphill Brook Leanto in 2 hrs, 20 minutes. At 9:45, I was on top of Cliff enjoying the view from the different vantage points.

I dropped back to the herd path split to Redfield and headed up Redfield. I forgot how continuously steep the Redfield herd path is. I had to stop once or twice to regain my breath. At 11:05 I was on top of Redfield, but the clouds had rolled in and sumit visibility was gone for the day.

I was back at the Uphill Brook Leanto at 11:30 and since it was still early, I decided to head for Gray and Skylight as well. The trail from Feldspar to Lake Tear was the killer trail of the day after having done C&R. I remembered it as steep from my summer visit.

At Lake Tear I dropped my pack and went up Gray. Gray it was. Nothing to see on this day. It was now 1 PM. I dropped back down and headed for Skylight. Skylight felt like being on the moon. White snow, white sky, white cairns and footprints that were barely visible. I followed the cairns to the big rock pile and thought wow, this looks so different from the nice summer day I spent here. I left the summit at 1:50 and did the long trek out in 3 hours, 20 minutes.

I signed out at 5:10 PM, 10 hours and 35 minutes for 24 miles and 4 peaks!

Pics and more details at:
http://www.offonadventure.com/2013/02/cliff-redfield-gray-and-skylight-22613_26.html