Colden (4-11-10)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMax

Reaction score
Avatar is on Gannett Peak, Wyoming's high point.
Trail Conditions: The trail from the HPIC up to Marcy Dam is typical Spring conditions... mud in all the usual spots. Some sporadic ice from there up to the Avalanche Camps but not much at all. From the trail junction at the old leanto sight, there is much more snow. Snow, mud, snow mud... etc. At around 3100 feet there was complete snow cover and a pretty solid hardpack all the way to Lake Arnold. None of the water crossings were particularly high. The trail up Colden was a little different. It was a spine the whole way up and the spine got quite narrow at times but stayed pretty solid.

Equipment: I barebooted the entire way - carried snowshoes but didn't need them. Microspikes would have been helpful.

Comments: Had no view from the summit but when I was about half-way back down the sun came out and the clouds cleared away. I wound up spending some time soaking up the view sitting in the sun at Marcy Dam.