Colgate Lake Trail and Escarpment Trail Maintenance

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keb

Reaction score
We were out on these two trails this past weekend as part of a trip to the Blackheads. The Colgate Lake trail has recently undergone a lot of trail maintenance, but I am curious about the reason for part of it. Overall there has been a lot of effort put in to installing water bars etc. But as you decend from Dutcher Notch you are on a former road bed that is nice and open and level. In 3 locations, the trail has been rerouted, off of the road, into the adjoining woods, for 50-100 yards, only to then rejoin the road. The roadway, which does not seem to be suffering from errosion or drainage problems, has been covered with tree limbs etc to dissuade usage. The rerouting, new trail cutting, and even the efforts to cover the road were significant, but I don't understand why it was done. Again, the road appears to be in good shape, and it is pleasant to walk on. I can only theorize that it is to ensure foot traffic only, and dissuade ATVS or bikes? Does anyone know or have a thought?

Also, on the Escarpment Trail, in the area of Dutcher, the trail is nice and level and wide in sections, and it appears that the grass, weeds etc along the sides have been cut with a weed whacker or something. I know that the Escrapment Trail race is coming up in a couple of weeks, but that seems to be extreme maintenance even for that. Any idea why such grooming?