Crispo Peak and No. 6 Mtn. 9/10/06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamehiker

Reaction score
After waiting out Saturday's storms at home I headed out Sunday morning with a promising forecast and was not disappointed. I headed West on the Spencer Road from Rt. 201 and just after the 17 mile marker I turned right on a smaller logging road and followed it around to below the col of the two peaks at about 2100 ft. Just before 9 AM I parked and started up skidder paths to the main col at about 2560 ft.
After donning appropriate bushwhack clothing I started for "Crispo" Peak. The col was thick and rough for awhile but soon opened up to reasonable trekking. However the going got thicker as I closed in on the summit and after finding a couple of false bumps I reached the jar a little over an hour from the car. Coming back down was harder because I was a little too far South but made it back to the col area at 11:30 where I left my soaked long sleeve shirt on a rock and headed up No. 6 in short sleeves. Ouch!
The trek up No. 6 was quite rough. Not very steep but very few openings. I kept applying the 50 ft. rule but to no avail. However it is not a long climb so I was soon at the top looking for a jar. I found several bumps that looked like the highpoint but no jar. After 15 mins. of this and going further along the flat summit and thinking this is starting to go down I looked to my left and saw a piece of Orange tape on the ground. On the tree next to it was the jar. It was hard to find but it really feels good to find something after almost giving up. The trip down was little better than the trip up. But I was back at the col, found my shirt and was back at the car before 3 PM. Now the scratches on my arms match the ones on my legs. Time for 2 long sleeve shirts I guess. All in all a pretty rough trip but lots of good bushwhacking experience gained and my jar finding ability is improving.
Gamehiker

wow... these 2 peaks are getting a lot of traffic this year!

I'm glad to hear you found the jar on #6, I've heard it's elusive.

Onestep

Jim, we had seen that road coming down No. 6 and it looked like it went up to over 2000', seems like your approach was shorter than ours from Spencer Road. That's a tough solo wack! I found No. 6 to be pretty scrappy most of the way, and the summit to be a bump filled stick forest, I've been there twice and I can honestly say I'll never make it a threesome!