Denali deaths

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frodo, skiguy, thanks for the well wishes, I'll be posting pictures for sure.

My friend from Idaho has no interest in climbing and that is fine with me, we are basically going to be backpacking in the mountains near the Chitisone River (we do have to climb up some talus/scree slopes to cross Chitisone Pass, but no mountaineering or glacier travel is in the cards here. I'm OK with that, I just love being in the high mtns.

Speaking of glaciers meeting the ocean, when I was researching W-SE, they have official kayak drop off points in Icy Bay, where you can have your kayak flown in and then picked up later.

On the subject again of Alaskan Parks, has any of you every been up to the Brooks Range, Gates of the Arctic, etc.?

I was seriously looking into a kayak trip down the middle fork of the Koyukyuk River (sp?), because I've never been north of the artic circle and a kayak trip just sounded fun.

Jay

I'm new to this forum but will be headed up to Denali in three weeks for a shot at the summitt.

Thanks for all the great information and all the clear photos from Frodo.

The accident on Denali pass is tragic--my sympathies go out to the families.

Training options for Denali

I am enrolled in the Alaska Mountaineering School 6 day Mountaineering course starting June 10. The cost is much less than a guided summit trip ($1300 for 6 days oon the mountain including Air Shuttle to/from the Kahiltna) and includes at least 1 summit attempt on one of the lesser peaks adjacent to Denali. The course teaches all of the climbing and survival skills necessary for a summit bid. Full expedition packs and sleds are used.

Our plan is to learn all we can, attempt Ranier unguided next summer, and possibly Denali the following year. I'll post a trip report with my evaluation of the course.

Can't wait to leave. I'm tried of lugging 50 pounds of water up 4000 ft peaks for training!!!

The other option we considered was the 5 day RMI course on Ranier - but the cost was about the same and we felt Denali was a better "classroom".