Deuce Bigelow

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

king tut

Reaction score
Two Bigelow peaks

This morning I decided to head out and go for a hike, since i hadn't done a real hike in quite a while. I awoke early this morning for some reason, i am not sure why? But at 4:30, i was awake, and alas there was no Olympic coverage on, so i bummed around for a while and then headed out the door at about 5:30. My plan was to hike some Crockers or some Bigelows, wasn't really sure which. I headed towards Stratton and looked for the road into Stratton brook pond, but it was dark and i wasn't thinking clearly at that hour in the morning. After taking a couple of wrong roads, i decided to park in the big parking lot off of rte 27 where the AT crosses. I was going to hike the Crockers, but some voice told me to go hike Bigelow. I looked around and didn't see anybody, so i figured it was my inner child talking to me.

So, i started hiking just before 6, hoping to see a nice sunrise. The first mile was very icy and I put on my stabilicers real soon into the hike. Before too long I came to Dick Brown's bridge. I am not sure who he is, but he has a nice bridge. I looked to my right and there was a gorgeous red sky reflecting into the stream! I took a few pics, and I think they came out well. The rest of the hike up to Cranberry Pond was icy, but quick. At the junction of Cranberry Pond I went right to go up to Horn's Pond. This section of the hike turned out to be tougher and longer than I thought. But.. I finally arrived at Horn's Pond, 5.3 miles into my hike. I looked around and there were no signs of life anywhere. So, then I headed up the Horn, and man it was steep. But, there had been a lot of tracks up to S Horn, so it was an easy climb.

Up to S Horn, the trail was rather easy and packed quite well. Only 0-6 inch base depending on where you were. Once I left S Horn, it became apparent that there were no other tracks heading to West Peak. The snow depth increased to about a foot, and I had to take off the stabilicers and slap on the snowshoes. The next several miles were a lot harder since there was no packed trail and my body was bonking big time. My stomach didn't feel too great so i really didn't eat too much on the way up. The trail was nice and scenic though, great views everywhere. I only lost the trail for about 2 minutes when it came to a few openings in the trees. I slowly made my way to West Peak, and the climb up took a long time as I would take about 20 steps and then put my hands on my knees as my lungs questioned what I was doing. But I finally made it to the top after a slow crawl up. This was the only place on the trip where i could have used some crampons. The last 200 feet up were pure ice. I did have my Atlas 1033's on, and they have some pretty big teeth on their bottom, so i was fine.

I took about 2 minutes at the summit to snap a few pics, and then headed down. There really was no wind up top today, and the temps were at least in the teens. It felt almost balmy. I got down to the col and decided not to go to Avery Peak as I was dragging. I then searched about 5 minutes for the Fire Warden's trail, and found it off of the privy trail. The Fire Wardens trail had some nice fluff on it, and was a fun descent. The first mile went by quick as I flew down on my snowshoes and did a little butt sliding too. The next 1.3 miles took a while though, but I finally made it to the trail junction. I stopped, drank some hot cocoa, ate an apple and some crackers, and then resumed the death march. I had done 10.6 miles at this point.

The last few miles out were fine, but there was some massive damage from the wind storm a few nights ago. There was one large section where about 40 % of the trees had been blown down. A complete mess. But I made it out and went out the Stratton brook road and finally met up w/ the AT again, and headed out. If anyone is thinking of going into Stratton Brook, don't. The road is blocked 1/2 way in by a large tree. It is also complete ice. Anyway, it was a fun hike, and 14 miles later and 3k plus vertical, I was happy to be done.

I put up some pics of the hike in Shutterbook. I think there were some cool ones today. I like Dick's pic the best.

Reactions: MEB
Nice pictures. I really like the pic of Avery... it's looks so big and mean. I hiked Avery, West, and South Horn back in September and took a friend up Cranberry last month. I hope to get back up there for a winter hike up West and Avery soon.

Nice Report!

Nice report.....I am truly jealous that you can be out the door at 5:30 and hiking in the Bigelow Range at 6!!! :)

I am lucky that my parents live up in the valley, so when i come up here, i am close to all kinds of mt's for hiking and skiing. Avery Peak did look pretty mean and scary from West Peak yesterday. If i were into doing "lists", then i would have gone up there to bag it in the winter. But, i've done Avery in the summer many times, i could care less about lists, just as long as i get to hike a bunch of new mt's and see a bunch of new experiences, i'm happy. This was my first time being on the Bigelow ridgeline in winter, so i thought it was quite a bit of fun.

Nice report. You covered some tough winter miles, and show the importance of a pre-dawn start for that hike.

1 How was the "oulet" crossing at Stratton Pond? Was the pond frozen, or did you have to rock hop across the brook?

2 The entrance to the Pond Road is usually blocked off by snow banks. There is adequate parking, but private driveways are close.

3 The Horn's Pond trail is an easier, ie. less steep, hike up than the AT (It joins the AT below the shelters)

4 After a recent rain then deep freeze, it is noteworthy that you found a need for snowshoes.

lucky you : )

Lucky you to be out so early.and catch such a pretty sunrise.
Nice TR and pics!
kmac

rambler said:
Nice report. You covered some tough winter miles, and show the importance of a pre-dawn start for that hike.

1 How was the "oulet" crossing at Stratton Pond? Was the pond frozen, or did you have to rock hop across the brook?

2 The entrance to the Pond Road is usually blocked off by snow banks. There is adequate parking, but private driveways are close.

3 The Horn's Pond trail is an easier, ie. less steep, hike up than the AT (It joins the AT below the shelters)

4 After a recent rain then deep freeze, it is noteworthy that you found a need for snowshoes.

The outlet crossing was fine. There were enough rocks sticking out to cross w/out getting the boots too wet. The pond, i believe, was frozen, but the crossing had up to 6 inches of water flowing thru. I was happy i started at 6, b/c i didn't get out till 2 pm, and that was w/ almost no rest stops. Up above 3500 feet, i didn't see much sign of any rain last week, the snowpack was deep enough to need snowshoes, but down in the valley was complete ice.