Dix Range Snow Conditions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrOysterhead

Reaction score
Anyone been up in the Dix range since the last major dump (this weekend)?? How deep is the snow? What condition was it in?

We're heading in the South Fork of the Bouqet, hitting up the Great Slide on E. Dix and then heading over to S. Dix, Macomb (maybe), and Hough (maybe). Should be a good weekend out.

cheers
Oysterhead

Sorry I can't help with current conditions, but I've been up the slide a few times in winter, and every time it was a tough, slow, snow slog every time. You know, the three steps forward in loose snow to gain about a foot.

Just wondering if you plan on going in on the South Fork? I thought the South Fork leads to Spotted, then across the ridge to Grace, and not the Slide.
Are you whacking over to the slide?

I've always approached the slide from the North Fork, then joining the S Fork after the flat area past Lillypad Pond. Just curious.
In summer, the Grace Slide, Spotted Mountain loop is one of my favorites. :D

Last edited:
Just wondering if you plan on going in on the South Fork? I thought the South Fork leads to Spotted, then across the ridge to Grace, and not the Slide.

Haha the problem here is that I suck at reading maps :D
Actually not really, but I just took a quick look and saw that the South Fork was what drained from the E cirque of the Dix Range. We're going in the standard way - I believe we're going to camp by Lillypad Pond.

Sorry I can't help with current conditions, but I've been up the slide a few times in winter, and every time it was a tough, slow, snow slog every time. You know, the three steps forward in loose snow to gain about a foot.

Did you rope up? We're bringing enough gear to do a running belay by slinging trees. Hopefully there will be a more solid base then when you've been there - esp. with the recent melt/thaw cycle we've been in.

-Oysterhead

Na, never used ropes on it. But we have had to stay in the scrub/tree line to avoid avalanche danger before. A rope might be useful on some of the steeper sections if ice is a factor. Especially on the return down the slide. Like you said about slinging trees, just stay near the edge of the slide.
Personally, I would travel as light as possible for all three peaks. I might ditch the rope for a sleeping bag and shovel.

My wife and I had a scary moment the first time we did it in the summer about 10 years ago. It was actually our first ADK slide climb.
I was climbing above her, and hadn't checked where she was climbing for a few moments. When I looked down to insure she wasn’t directly below me, my foot dislodged a softball size rock. Sure enough, she was in line with me about 20 meters below. I yelled rock, as I watched it start bouncing down the slide headed straight for her. Just as she looked up, it bounced about 2 feet in front of her head and went over her. Very Lucky! :)

Last edited:
Trip just got bagged d/t illness - damn sick people. We're gonna go down Saturday morning - objectives TBA. Thanks for the beta anyway.

Where do you ice climb around Rochester? Thats where I'm from - going home for part of Spring break in 2 weeks.

peace
Oysterhead