Flat Mountain Pond Overnight 2/10-2/11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gforce

Reaction score
Following some suggestions from VFTT'ers I did an overnight to Flat Mountain Pond 2/10-2/11. Hiked in from the Whiteface Intervale trail head. I was immediatly passed by two snowmobiles, after that I didn't see anyone the entire time. Flat Montain Pond Trail obviously hadn't been hiked in several days. Sometimes trail was obvious in snow, other times completly obliterated by drifting snow. I bare booted the entire way with no problem but with several more inches it might be useful to have snowshoes etc. Arrived at pond around 16:30 and found a nice spot off trail near northern end of pond. Original plan had been to go on to the shelter at the southern end but since I was already loosing light I decided to stay where I was. Moderate snow showers after dark made for a pleasant atmosphere. After dinner I quickly got inside my bag. I don't know the exact temps but things started freezing up fast. I was worried when I noticed my boots freezing up so I brought them in with me. Later I notice my water in an insulated bottle was also freezing so that came in with me too. I guess I should bury it in the snow next time.

Around 19:30 I heard various explosions which I realized must be fireworks from one of the ski areas?

Woke up to brilliant sunshine and beautiful views across the pond, packed up, and had a nice hike out.

Everthing seemed to work pretty well gear-wise and I was able to apply lots of advice I got from VFTT. All and all a great trip.

gforce

I'd love to see pix if you've got 'em. It's a special place _ and must be even more magical in winter!