FYI Some nice finback whales are 100 yards off Race Point

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
(cape cod race point)

I got the good kind of heart attack when a fin back surfaced 50 feet away and made a giant blow. I had been still for many minutes when it happened, so maybe we surprised each other. I'm going back out tomorrow with the waterproof video cam.....if I get some nice video I will post....

That's awesome! Was there this passed summer. Didn't see whales but saw some seals off Race Point and Herring Cove. What are you paddling?

Watch out for those great whites :eek:;) They're down by Monomoy Islands, I think.

Very cool. Awesome experience. Two quick stories on similar experiences: In Cape Hatteras one summer, many years ago, I was out early trying to surf, watching the horizon when an Orca breached probably 100 yards out in front of me. The sudden black and white and splash and then nothing again was surreal. In Virginia Beach by the Bridge Tunnel I was windsurfing once and was overtaken by a large pod of porpoise. I had a mother and baby swimming right next to me. They definately knew I was there. This experience was quickly ruined by a jet skier who saw the pod and was attempting to crash onto them as they rose. If I had a gun...Oh well, I'm sure the porpoise were fine, being abundantly smarter than the jet skier.