Garfield and Galehead by Beaver Bk parking, Loop Rd. Garf Tr, Garf Ridge Tr 3/10/10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkL

Reaction score
Canton, NY. Avatar: Mt. Washington in Winter:
Sorry this report is late due to limited computer access and much rushing around.
Wolfgang already reported more recently on the Garf. Tr., so I'll just add this:

The Garfield Ridge Trail showed no sign of prints or a furrow when I got to it just .2 mi before Garfield's summit.
The first ~0.1 mile wasn't too hard to follow, despite blazes above snow level being very rare. After that, I lost it pretty badly and entered a spruce trap field. I broke through only a few times, but I(Gross Weight ~220lbs) was wearing 30" Havlick snowshoes. Took compass bearing on drainage between bumps where trail would eventually go. After much wandering around in the spruce trap field, I headed downhill and a bit to the left, and finally linked up with the trail. Followed that down the ledge with the hard ice dome. Plenty of snow to the side of that, so no need for crampons or ax.
Lost trail 5 or 10 minutes after ledge. Bushwhacked up a bump for a view of the situation. Headed left off bump and did some moderate to thick bushwhacking following a bearing and also following my sense that the trail was to the left. I lost a multi-color fleece headband in here. Finally hit the trail which had been on the left. Soon after, came to jct. with Franconia Brook Tr. It took 2 hours to descend 0.7 mile from Garfield's summit! Trail finding went better after that in part due to higher level of motivation, but I was still off-trail briefly 2 or 3 times, most notably just before getting to Gale River Trail. I hit that 30 yards below the actual junction with the sign.
GaleRT well packed, but further up the tracks bushwhacked. I followed them, and got to Galehead Hut. Followed tracks to right to Galehead, summiting at 6:13PM. Spent little time there. Descended, dug out lower sign at the jct, wrote "Garfield --> It's not pretty!" in snow by my junction, and headed down and out
Water crossings No problem. Early and late, when I was at lower elevations and on a gentle grade, the snow was fairly firm and I barebooted. Had no problem barebooting the water crossings. That probably won't be the case for long.

Snowshoes required when trail softens.
Snowshoes required when trail disappears.;

If you follow my tracks but are familiar with the trail (my first time on this trail), or see where I missed the trail, go with the trail!