Garfield via Garfield Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

Approach road is still closed, as is the parking lot (parking is available about .25 north on Route 3, just across Gale River bridge on the left side). Approach road is still covered is mostly snow-covered, but bare spots are starting to show and the road will likely melt out soon given the warm temps forecasted for the next few days. The first half-mile or so past the beginning of the actual trail is a mix of snow, ice and dirt, after that snow cover becomes consistent. Stream crossings are not a problem as of yet. The snow was fairly soft, especially in the afternoon, but generally still firm enough to stand on even without snowshoes. I used metal-edged BC skis, carried skins but did not use them. It was a bit tricky on the downhill in the upper part of the trail, but not too bad. My conclusion is that in soft snow, BC or tele gear is overkill for this trail, and I am not an expert skier by any means. All in all it's a really BC ski tour right now - but get it on soon, it won't last much longer.