Getting old: Need cushier pad.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
The days of a full nights sleep on my 3/8" ensolite pad are long gone, unfortunately a thermarest self-inflating over a ridgerest doesn't do it for me anylonger, either. Plus that's a 4lb combo.

I've seen the threads, I'm wondering if anyone has made the switch to the 2 1/2" inflatable Big Agnes Aircore or Pacific Outdoor Equipment pads. While these look more comfortable, I never cared much for how swimming pool inflatables felt to lie on.

Any input on actual experience with these pads would be appreciated, thanks.

Chip said:
The days of a full nights sleep on my 3/8" ensolite pad are long gone, unfortunately a thermarest self-inflating over a ridgerest doesn't do it for me anylonger, either. Plus that's a 4lb combo.

I've seen the threads, I'm wondering if anyone has made the switch to the 2 1/2" inflatable Big Agnes Aircore or Pacific Outdoor Equipment pads. While these look more comfortable, I never cared much for how swimming pool inflatables felt to lie on.

Any input on actual experience with these pads would be appreciated, thanks.
Chip -

Look into a 3/4" Evazote pad - should be able to get one from MEC, which I did several years ago. It was advertised as a 'winter-weight' pad. Not much heavier than a conventional closed cell pad, but lots cushier. Might be able to use a lighter inflatable with it rather than going to heavier 'car-camp' level of inflatable.

I've got a BA air core. I like it. I sleep on my side, and by the morning my hips and upper rib cage are sore, but I bet I get at least an extra hour of uninterrupted sleep vs. a thermarest. It has a little bit of insulation in it. Despite how little of it there is, it provides enough cushion to take away from the pool float feel.