Gore Tex Pants

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I've been searching awhile now for a good pair of Gore Tex (or similar) rain/wet snow pants for colder weather hiking on those fowl weather days with sideways rain and heavy winds in the 30's and 40's. I searched the forums and found several recommendations but they are fairly old posts and some of the links didn't work so I assume these products are no longer available. Curious if anyone has any current recommendations on brand, fabric, etc. from recent years. I've tried on a variety of pants now at REI, EMS and Bass Pro Shops and find they're too much like ski pants and less like hiking pants (bulky, some had suspenders, not enough pockets,etc). I currently wear EMS Endo Trek pants, which I like quite a bit, but they are pretty warm for temps above the 20's and I'm not sure that they are actually waterproof. Looking for pants that could be thrown on over lighter pants as conditions change. Any recommendations on brand and features I should be looking for would be appreciated.

Full zip is a feature I won't do without. It's a PITA to have to remove crampons/plastics/snowshoes to put on the GTX overpants when conditions change to the point you need them. I rarely need them in the Whites but for the few times I did need them, I NEEDED them. I always pack them despite the predicted weather conditions, but it does depend on the mountains I'm hiking (above treeline or not) and who I'm with.

On a typical day I wear a pair of REI's Mistral pants, which work well under a wide temperature range. I carry a pair of Mountain Hardware Converse pants, which I've used for years. I like them because they are full zip, with suspenders, and don't weigh much. Marmot Precip pants would be similar. Neither the MH nor the Precips are Goretex, but use their own proprietary fabrics, and are waterproof. Keep in mind you typically don't need waterproof pants in winter - snow, after all, isn't wet in its frozen state. So, something windproof is usually sufficient.

For many of us, a full-on, 3-ply Goretex pant is usually way too warm for most winter hiking unless you run rather cold. I only wear mine if I'm going to be above treeline much of the day, and it will be below zero. aSome sort of softshell pant, like the Mistral, is a better choice on a typical winter day with temps from 5F-25F. If it's below zero, I also wear a pair of longjohns.

I've been happy with Precip pants (the ones with ankle zippers) worn over Smartwool bottoms for the conditions you describe.

On the full length zippers they don't freeze or ice over?? If you're trudging through wet snow or driving rain on a cold day you don't have problems with zippers getting packed with snow and melting from body heat release, etc? My old downhill ski pants had zippers at the bottoms and they used to crust up under certain conditions. What about velcro? I have velcro on my winter gaiters which I thought was a horrible idea but it doesn't freeze up at all (at least in my limited trips they didn't).

And on the waterproof front I was looking more for pants for wet weather at or around freezing, not powder conditions (i.e. that nasty driving rain in the upper 30's, the wet snow that falls when the humidity is high and ground temps are above freezing, those hikes where fresh snow melts after an overnight storm and the tree limbs sag and drench you as you push through them).

I'll check the models described above. Thanks for the suggestions.

Most winter hikers (including me) wear gaiters, the type that reach just below the knee. If anything is going to freeze in the freeze/thaw cycles, it will be the gaiters.

If you go out in freezing rain conditions and are concerned about zippers, make sure the pants have flaps over the zippers. I don't go out in freezing rain if at all possible, so my experience is limited.

Thanks Kevin.

I don't intentionally go out in these conditions but I have been out on many decent days that went downhill on me and I definitely didn't have the right gear (or maybe more on point is that I had the proper gear, it just wasn't good gear). I tend to get cold easier than most too. A few weeks ago I did Castle Ravine Trail and sunny 50's kind of day quickly became clouds, rain and wind. As I reached the trail head at top of ravine it started pouring sideways and in just the few minutes it took me to get out of Polartec fleece, put on rain gear and cover my pack I was shivering big time (I measured wind chill at about 38-39 deg on my Kestrel). I had my "escape route" planned but that still involved 1/2 mile of above tree line scrambling while the thunder rumbled.

My summer rain gear was adequate but I certainly could have been more comfortable. As I retreated down the Israel Ridge Path it started hailing and pouring and my legs and lower back were drenched within the hour splashing through puddles and pushing against soggy branches. That is the type of situation I want to be ready for because I'm planning quite a few late Autumn and winter hikes this year. Last year I restricted myself to very nice days only to test trail conditions and gear but that also limits how many days you can get out too (with the weather in the Whites being what it is). Want to build up some bad weather experience so if I'm ever faced with poor conditions I'm as ready as possible.

Thanks for all the replies. Appreciate your feedback.

Good gear is worth the investment, I learned this early on when hiking in winter above treeline. We were on Mt Washington one day when a storm rolled in, not that it was a pleasant day anyway. I donned my GTX, tossed on the goggles, and decided on a reassessment (being trip 'leader' with my hiking partner). I concluded that while the weather about us was horrible, inside my protective clothing I was warm, dry, and quite comfortable, so we continued (he was the same way upon asking). Seeing was the biggest part, and not losing the trail, but we could see 50' at a time which was all we needed. I had a GPS track I was plotting, which we could follow back if conditions deteriorated much more.

When I started winter hiking I used gear that worked at the time, but was sub-standard looking back upon it. Maybe it's that I push myself more now or maybe it's that I have more experience with worse winter conditions (raising the bar so to speak), but one thing is certain, good gear on which you can rely without question is a must. You don't need a lot of it, but when you need to put on the GTX overpants, they need to do the job well.

I have both bibs and light overtrousers that I wear over different thicknesses of fleece. They are not Gore-Tex, but my jacket (MEC) and my gaiters (OR Big Crocs) are. The thing about Gore-Tex is that two membranes will not breathe. That being said,, it is still a bit of overkill, but as someone said higher on this thread, when you need them you really need them. They, trousers and bibs are both full side zipper, a necessity in my opinion.

Rab eVent pants (Alpine Latok) are great.

One pound, triple full-length zips, no moisture-absorbing frills, slim fit. Very breathable and totally wind-and water proof. Not cheap.

I use North Face Venture with Hyvent 2.5L.
They are non-insulated, but on a 15 degree day with 40mph winds, I had those and a pair of thermals on, and was quite comfy.
They also have full length zips.

I've never come close to wetting them out in winter (even in snow storms). If I recall, I think they were around $80.

My first winter hike was in ski pants. I was soaked by the time I finished, but in my own sweat.
If you get all dressed up in your winter gear and look like this, you've made a mistake:
randy.jpg