Green tint in pictures using polarizer?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

^MtnMike^

Reaction score
I've noticed that on really clear, sunny days, when I use my polarizing filter (a fairly cheap Qunatarry) my pictures end up with a bit of a green tint:
green.jpg

Is this likely to be an issue with the cheap glass of the polarizer, or could it be a problem with my camera's auto-white balance getting confused by the polarizer?
(I'm using the Canon G3)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
^MtnMike^

A cheap polarizer will definitely cast a tint. Actually, when I played with the photo in Photoshop, I had to reduce the yellow saturation to balance the picture. I also did a quick Shadow/Highlights adjustment to bring out some more of the mountains and darken the sky a bit.

Tints are easy enough to deal with in Photoshop.

Kevin

I'm sure it's the polarizer...polarizers do weird things with light, and the green hue on a less than expensive polarizer I'm sure is the issue. I would not however, give up on using it if you aren't begging to fork over a ton of $ for a new one. The cast is barely noticable, and easily fixed in PS if there is a shot where it is exceptionally bothersome.

I really like the composition in this shot! The inclusion of the buildings below give great scale, and the trees in the foreground give great depth.