Gregory Lassen pack questions...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain

Reaction score
Howdy. Now, for some pretty basic questions. I've only used my camelbak for day hikes, and a couple of very old jansport packs for overnighters or weekend backpacks...my girlfriend got me a new pack for x-mas...the '03 Gregory Lassen. I'm pretty psyched as I've heard good things about the gregory packs...however, I noticed a few things...1st, not hydration system compatible...initially I was thinking that there's no way in hell that I can have a pack with no hydration system...I simply don't like to stop to drink, and I like to drink often...but the more I think about it...if this pack is all that and a bag of chips in terms of comfort and quality construction...perhaps it would be worth the trade-off....next, I figured I'd load the pack and feel it out...well the first thing I went to load was my new bag in the sleeping bag compartment...maybe someone can help me out here...I assumed that you would want to put your bag in it's stuff sack and then load it into your sleeping bag compartment, for a little extra protection against moisture...well...there's no way in hell my bag in it's stuff sack is going through the opening to the bag compartment...so I took it out of the stuffie and just loaded the bag directly into the bag compartment...man, I barely got the zippers closed and the divider was bulging up into the main compartment...my bag is not large by any means...an REI polar pod I think...0 degree mummy weighing in at about 3.5 pounds...not large...am I doing something wrong?? Do most people not use the stuff sack when loading their bag?? Sorry for the long post and remedial questions, but curious if anyone out there has this pack and what there thoughts on it are...I was originally looking at the Lowe Alpine Contour IVs...I tried one on once and it felt pretty comfortable, and it had a hydration sleeve...I notice that the '04 gregorys have the hydration sleeve and port...don't know what took them so long...do I return the lassen and go with the Lowe Alpine?? Or something else?? Thoughts are apprectiated. Thanks.

Captain Fantastic

I often line my sleeping bag compartment with a plastic garbage bag (trash compactor bags are sturdier) and then just stuff the sleeping bag in, fold over the opening of the garbage bag and then zip up the compartment. The other option you have is to put the sleeping bag in a compression sack first and then into the sleeping bag compartment. I gave a Gregory Palisade (very similar to the Lassen) and both of these methods have worked for me.

As far as the hydration system, I just put my bladder inside the main pack bag and run the hose out under the top lid and along one of the shoulder straps. Depending on the size of your bladder you might also be able to just put it into the top pocket.

Good luck

Ditto to what ADKman had to say -- I have a Gregory Reality and when I use a water bladder, I keep it on top of everything else in my pack. I just thread the hose through the top of the pack (underneath the top lid.) and clip it onto my shoulder strap.

I also don't bother with the stuff sack for my sleeping bag -- I just squash my bag as far down as I can get it in my pack. It all seems to fit a little better that way. Even though I don't line my pack with a trash bag during the summer, (though I do use a sil-nylon pack cover on the outside,) I've never had my bag get wet even in some pretty wet weather.

Hope that helps!

- Ivy

I have a Lassen and overall I like the pack. I got it for its fit on me. It has adequate space for a 2-3 day trip. It really expands alot when all the compression straps are maxed out, I could not believe how much stuff will fit in that thing. I used it for a 6 day glacier class/trip on Mt. Baker(WA), although I had to take the lower volume heavier weight items(iew, rope, pickets, fuel bottles as opposed to tents, etc...) of the group gear. In general I need more volume for that length trip. I wish the extra pouch on the outside rear of the main compartment of the pack was not there, but I do make use of it. I would rather have a firmer place to strap on external items such as snow shoes or crampons. I do not like having the crampons up near my head where the strap holders are naturally for this pack. I have always just lined the entire pack interior with a trash compacter bag, then put the sleeping bag in through the top using a compression stuff sack. The entrance for the sleeping bag "compartment" is never used by me. It also makes a good day pack for winter in the north east. A little excessive for summer but OK.

Years ago, up on the advice of a climber, I stopped using the sleeping bag compartment. Continually fighting the 9 pounds of s,,, in a 6 pound sock syndrome was irksome. TNF 'Big Foot' just refused to be gracefull fitting into the Lowe Contore IV's lower compartment. A compression bag helped, but there was far too much futzing and a lumpy pack. The net effect was also causing a hinge point across the pack.
My current organization is with the divider panel unzipped and the bag, some times in a bivey, inserted from the top. (it nearly fills the pack, my old 'yucka pack' keep the soft stuff at the back rout helps, lots fits in a 'IV')
After the leaky canteens I started with I still have trepidation storing fluids in a pack. With the advent of blatters and tubes that nerviousness renewed. I had just began trusting Nalgines.
Yet a Platapus ends up residing fairly high and carefully placed, some times between the top compartment and main body of the pack. I keep the top of the bladder up and have had no leaks. However I have not taken spill (fallen) or tested this far from routine system enough to declare it 'bomb proof'. There are still 'hard bottle' redundancies in my pack. Good Luck Chris

Last edited: