Help with Moving near Worcester, MA

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
Avatar-Keaton (4) & Dad enjoying the snow on Wachu
I am looking at an opportunity that would allow me to move back to the NE, specifically near Worcetster, MA from PA (And give me the opportunity to finish my 111...).
I know there are a lot of MA folks on the board here -

Can anybody tell me what if any outdoor areas are close to Worcester and if it is a great place to live?
Also are there nice lakes & reservoirs to paddle within say 1/2 hour of Worcester.
Thanks so much in advance

P.S. Darren, this is still about general back country Yes? ;)

Yes!

Rick,
I have lived adjacent to Worcester for several years now.
It is centrally located for New England outdoor activities, and not far from the ADKs. Your nearby warm-up hikes are the 90 mile midstate trail, and Mts. Wachusett, Watatic, and Monadnock.
There is plenty of decent flat and quickwater paddling nearby, from the Quaboag to the Assabet, Sudbury, and Concord Rivers. And the big northern NE rivers and lakes are not far away.
I just hiked in Baxter State Park last weekend, and I'll be out canoeing tomorrow, all from right here near Worcester.
I hope that helps.

living near Worcester

Hi, Rick

I've lived in the northeast corner of Worcester county for a number of years. Even though I try to get back to the Adirondacks whenever I can, I've found many great places to hike and paddle near home. Besides what Tramper Al mentioned, there is the Leominster State Forest, the entire Quabbin region, Tully Lake, the historic areas around the Sudbury and Concord Rivers, and the Nashua River (which was a polluted mess when I moved here but has greatly improved in the last 20 years). Many of the towns here own tracts of conservation land that are beautiful and provide opportunities for hiking, xcountry skiing, etc., right from home.

New Hampshire and Vermont are close and we can drive to Lake George in 3.5 hours. And the ocean is just over an hour away.

Send me a PM is you'd like more suggestions.

Pat T

Hiking near Worcester

There are many great places near Worcester MA for hiking and kayaking. From your avatar, I'm guessing you'd like to know whether dogs are allowed.
This site has information on MA state parks: http://www.state.ma.us/dem/recreate/hiking.htm
MA Reservations: http://www.thetrustees.org/pages/3_property_locator_map.cfm
The AMC guide for Mass is helpful, as is the "50 Hikes" book for Mass.
I'd agree that the Mid State corridor has some nice hiking, especially Wachusett and Watatic. Dogs are supposed to be leashed on Wachusett, but most are not unless a ranger is in view. I don't know of any leash rules for Watatic. There is a guide book for the entire trail.
I'm not sure if Northfield Mountain - http://www.nu.com/northfield/default.asp - in Northfield allows dogs in the winter - they have an extensive x-c trail system - but they're allowed during other seasons. There are often horses here. There are both trails and wide dirt roads. Dogs are supposed to be leashed. Most of the streams run through the summer, which is good for the dogs.
West of Quabbin is further from Worcester, but the hiking is worth it. The Metacomet-Monadnock Trail - http://amcberkshire.org/mmtrail - corridor in the Pioneer Valley passes through a wide variety of terrain from the cliffs of Mt Tom near Northampton to grown over farm land in Wendell SP. Speaking of Wendell SP, they also maintain an extensive network of x-c ski/snowshoe/snow mobile trails in the winter. Dogs allowed year round.
And then still further west there's the Berkshires through which the MA section of the AT travels.
The big draw in southern NH is Monadnock. It's usually VERY crowded with touristy types. Dogs are NOT allowed. A little further north is North Pack. The views aren't as extensive but there isn't a constant parade of people. Dogs are allowed, no leash rules posted, usually dry in the summer. I'm in the northwest corner of Worcester county. For me, it is 2.5 hours to Franconia Notch in the Whites and 1.75 hours to the Stratton area in Vermont. The GMC http://www.greenmountainclub.org/ publishes two excellent guides for VT. See the AMC http://www.outdoors.org/ for a guide to the Whites.
Quabbin Reservoir mentioned in an earlier post offers some very nice hiking but has some odd rules for both the land and water. I'm not current on them since I don't go there because dogs are not allowed.
Mass Audubon sanctuaries usually have good walks but dogs are NOT allowed.
Hope this helps.

Rick,

For what it's worth, a friend of mine lives in Princeton, Mass which is about 20 minutes from Worcester. He loves it. The last time I visited him and his wife, we climbed Wachusett (only minutes from his house). I often think about relocating to that area. Another friend from Westborough works at Bose and I've often considered applying for a job there. Seems like there are lots of high-tech jobs in that area. Anyway, just thought you'd like to know.

Rob

Having spent the last 3.5 years here in the Woo, I'd have to agree with what everyone else says - there are a surprising amount of opportunities around. I'd add Purgatory Chasm for some fun exploring or family style picnics, lots of good cycling loops and areas with some challenging hills, and easy trips to Crow Hill up in Leominster (25 min) or Lincoln Woods state park in RI (40 min) if you're in the market for a day of rock climbing or bouldering.

From a steep hill on the side of 290,
kevin

Thanks for the comments all....
We were up North of Worcester over the weekend looking at houses in the Sterling/Rutland/Princeton area. It is very nice up there.
Hopefully we will make a decision soon and start working with a realtor. (and on my accent...)

Rick,

Living in the City of Worcester isn't all that great if you like country which a lot of towns nearby are very country. Your car insurance will go up living in the City as well. Rutland, Stearling, Princeton, Holden, ect. are all great places to live. The mid-state trail goes through some of those towns. My sister lives in Rutland in a dirt road area on a lake and beach. Can't remember the lake's name, but the beaches name (private to residents) is called Sandy Beach.

Good luck!

I've been in or near worcester most of my life.
And honestly it SUCKS in and of itself.

But like others have said, the surrounding towns are nice and it's centrally located to luanch off to the mountains and the ocean.

Crow Hill is close by and a great spot to rock climb.

How about southern NH? Granted, it's getting pricier to live here but... It's close to Boston, the Whites, the ocean... besides, having that Mass license plate is just asking for trouble... :D

Brent and Snowman, we immediately ruled out ever living in a city long ago, our search for this relo was really limited to small towns and such, in the Sterling/Lominster area.

Jason - I had considered living in NH, but near as I can tell, I still have to pay MA income tax on MA income and still face higher property taxes in NH (Granted there is no sales tax)
Why is the MA license plate asking for trouble??
thanks
Rick

Last edited:
O I don't know... I guess we all have our prejudices. Mine is people who drive in the left lane and hold up traffic - I found them mostly to have Mass plates... O well, this is off topic. I would think that a car with an out of state plate would be more apt to be vandalized than one from in state. I could be dead wrong on this but again, this is off topic. Good luck to you in where ever you choose to live.

J

Rick,
I live in s. NH but work in MA. Yes it is a pain (taxation w/out representation) to pay MA income tax. Hearing about property taxes from my co-workers though, I would say at least half pay higher prop. taxes then I do and they live in MA.

You may want to explore s NH

brianW

Leominster...

It isn't the best "little" town in the world. It has some OK areas, but the town has been sliding down hill in recent years. About 3 years ago there was a drive by shooting and gang activity has been picking up.

IMHO, Holden is probably your best bet in terms of value. The prices are still reasonable (not like Sterling) and it has a small-town feel. Since it sits on Worcester's NW side, it borders some of Worcester's nicest neighborhoods, too.

I live in (a nice area of) Worcester and I like it, but my next house is likely to be in Holden.