Heroic rescue on Franconia Ridge - Sept 19, 2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been up and down those trails dozens of times, and I think the WMG has it right - up FW, down OBP. Both have their moments, but on the whole, the got it right.

Much good trail maintenance on the FWT recently. I think it was done sometime between when I was there last (early Sept) and the previous time in mid-April. I believe that's the NH Parks jurisdiction.

Much good trail maintenance on the FWT recently. I think it was done sometime between when I was there last (early Sept) and the previous time in mid-April. I believe that's the NH Parks jurisdiction.

It's AMC. I've been out there a few times this year. I'm glad you like the improvements! The pro AMC crew did a lot of the work too, they put in a few new stepping stones, did some brushing in and repaired/installed a few water bars so I can't take all the credit! The pro crew is also responsible for the relocation of OBP between the parking area and the bridge, which was severely washed out from Irene.

It's AMC. I've been out there a few times this year. I'm glad you like the improvements! The pro AMC crew did a lot of the work too, they put in a few new stepping stones, did some brushing in and repaired/installed a few water bars so I can't take all the credit! The pro crew is also responsible for the relocation of OBP between the parking area and the bridge, which was severely washed out from Irene.
Give yourself - and others - several Attaboys as it's obvious there was much effort expended, so thank you from someone who does that loop frequently. One small nit - in the mile or so it meanders along the brook it needs to be re-blazed. Despite the traffic, there are a few places where it's not at all obvious, and I noticed a few herd paths to nowhere. Once it makes the final brook crossing the treadway is obvious, but below that - not so in places.

Give yourself - and others - several Attaboys as it's obvious there was much effort expended, so thank you from someone who does that loop frequently. One small nit - in the mile or so it meanders along the brook it needs to be re-blazed. Despite the traffic, there are a few places where it's not at all obvious, and I noticed a few herd paths to nowhere. Once it makes the final brook crossing the treadway is obvious, but below that - not so in places.

I agree that it could be better blazed along the brook, especially above Cloudland, IIRC, and I have couple of add-ons:

1) It could use a blaze or two just south of the uppermost Dry Brook crossing. I didn't see any for quite a stretch there, and
2) there's a good-sized blowdown just uphill from the first big ford of Dry Brook down low. It's relatively negotiable, but it is a big tree right in the middle of the trail, at least it was as of 9/9. I noted it in a New England Trail Conditions report.

Otherwise, I agree. Outstanding trail, very well kept. Thanks for a job well done!

Oh yeah, totally. Blazing is definitely a priority. I'm waiting for some ground cover to see where it's easy to lose the trail. Next trip!

edit: Thanks for the heads up on the blowdown, Driver8. :)

Last edited:
Very, very well done to the rescuers, as well as to the victim who managed to get himself some help and (probably) save his own life by getting into his sleeping bag! I was watching this weather situation for a couple of days and it was very well advertised... BUT this guy was on day 3 of a 5 day trip, so it's doubtful there would have been information specific enough when he started,so he could have anticipated the rapid changes that basically turned a nice few days into a potentially life threatening storm in a 3-4 hour period.

Hat's off to the rescuers!

My hat's off to all the rescuers involved in this recent rescue. I'm glad they got the hiker off the mountain, and no one else was injured in the process.

I think the call to use FWT was good one. I was up it twice this summer. In bad or good weather can be slippery, but the extra distance involved in going over to Lafayette and then down GT and OBP, to say nothing about avoidng further wind exposure, was worth it. Going over Lafayette in high winds is no picnic. Have done it driving snow, I can't imagine doing so in the dark on a carry-out.

Doing a carry out down OBP is no picnic either. Did one over a decade ago at night in good weather. The Agonies are rather, well, interesting, even with 6 people on a stokes litter, rotating with another 4. Thankfully, NHFG met us just some small distance below the Agonies and did the bulk of the hard work from there. They were great.

-- LivesToHike