Hiking boot fit for low volume feet

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazymama

Reaction score
I have been cursed with the ultimate in what boot fitters refer to as low volume feet: flat, narrow, long feet. So it is impossible to find boots that fit me perfectly off the shelf. In the past I have bought boots that had a better fit around my foot but were a bit on the short side.

With my most recent purchase, I decided to give my toes a break and go with the right length. I bought a pair of Montrail Morraines for my winter adventures. I am finding that I have a bit of heal lift that is causing some problems (blisters).

I have put in things to take up the extra volume: insoles, heavier socks. I also have custom orthotics to address my flat feet. Still having a problem.

I read that you could also put in "tongue depressors," a piece of foam between the laces and tongue of the boot that will help reduce the volume. I haven't tried that yet. I did try taking some headliner foam (for cars), doubling it over and inserting it between the front of my foot and the tongue of the boot. This seems to be helping, at least on my short walks around my neighborhood.

I was wondering if anyone else shares this problem, and have you found any good solutions?

I also have low volume feet, though I have high arches and I also get the exact same problem with the Montrail Moraines. The Superfeet Insoles made the problem a little less of a problem BUT I have yet to find a perfect fit. I find the heel area to be the most difficult to deal with and have been considering molding a piece of "craft foam" that wraps around the heel of my foot and placing that in there but haven't gotten around to it yet. They also have the "heel only" insoles, have you tried these, I am thinking about giving these a try.

sli74

I was having a similar problem with my Montrail Moraines, but a little higher on the heal towards the back of the ankle, right by the lower achilles. I use two heavy foam bandaids with athletic tape over them and it stopped the hot spots and blister. The tape is a must to keep the bandais in place. Of course, after re-reading your post, it probably won't help your issue. Have you taken them to an old fashioned shoe repairer? They probably would have some great ideas to help you.

I've had similiar problems with my feet and boots. It got so bad that I thought I was done hiking just a year ago. My "secret" was that I happened upon a good boot fitter. She really knew her stuff, evaluated my problem, and spent nearly 2 hours first finding the correct boot shape for my foot, and then fitting insoles to make everything just right. Even after I was happy, she was not, and continued to work on the fit.
Going to a shop and having someone fetch shoes for you to try on is not fitting a boot. Good fitters are hard to find, so stick with 'em when you find one.
I thought I knew how my boots should fit, but I learned otherwise and now I'm a very happy hiker.
Tom

I have tried putting in heel cups, but of course, I have to put that in on top of my custom orthotic which is leather and cork, and is about 3/4 length. The heel cups didn't seem to help much. I also bought a piece of craft foam to see how that might work in different spots, but haven't actually tried it yet.

I may try the bandaid/athletic tape combo for my hotspots, and perhaps talking to the shoe repair guy as well.

TomEske, who do you go to for boot fitting? If I could get the perfect fit I would be willing to drive a long ways to get it. I haven't found any good boot fitters up my way yet.

Thanks for the ideas. Nice to know I'm not alone.

I've had ongoing problems finding boots that don't wreck my (odd) feet.

I agree with all above, but the best results may come from combing inserts, insoles and working with a good boot fitter to find a boot brand that works for you. Each manufacturer builds it boots around a magical, mystical ideal foot, find the one that works with your foot. After getting torn up by Vasques for years and tolerating too tight or too loose Merrells I found that Scarpa's work for me- big stiff leathers didn't even require a break in period.

Also, look at kids or mens models, especially if they are offered in width or volume sizes. Some fitters won't even think of crossing the boot-gender line.

I didn't mention the boot fitter because I see you are way up north (where I go to fish every summer), but I understand your prediciment and maybe other things bring you down this way. My boot fitters name is Sue and she is the co-owner of the Catskill Hiking Shack in Wurstboro, NY. go to http://www.catskillhikes.com for directions and other info. This is strictly a hiker's shop.
The store is small but what they lack in variety, they make up in service, experience, and knowledge. Their lines of boots are carefully selected because of their limited space. She tests EVERYTHING they sell. I'd suggest that if you are comtemplating a visit, that you call her and tell her your problem and what you are looking for. She will special order. She will also hold the store open if she knows you are coming. They are closed Mondays and I think Sundays. I usually call before I go because it's an hour drive for me (but well worth the trip), and I want to make sure she's open.
I can't speak highly enough about her service to her customers. She even answers questions through email.
Tell her the bearded Scoutmaster from West Hurley sent you.
Tom

crazymama,

Consider adding lacing options to your list of remedies. With one foot slightly larger than the other, I usually have some sort of fit problem every time I buy boots. On my last purchase, I eventually solved a right foot heel lift/blister problem merely by skipping the first of three pairs of speed hooks. That simple change caused a subtle shift in fit that somehow eliminated the trouble spot. I still have a bit of heel lift but the blisters are history and the boots are comfortable.

I also have flat, long, low-volume feet, plus my second toe is longer than the big toe. With all that, there are some brands that fit great (Asolo right now), and others that used to fit good, but no longer do (Merrills for example) due to changes in the last.

With hiking boots, ski boots, shoes, etc. I find that no amount of home-grown "fiddling" can compensate for a fit that is poor to start with. A good fitter will understand which brand to start with, and take it from there.

Good luck,
Jim

jbreen said:
I also have flat, long, low-volume feet, plus my second toe is longer than the big toe. With all that, there are some brands that fit great (Asolo right now), and others that used to fit good, but no longer do (Merrills for example) due to changes in the last.
I've also found that Asolo fit my extremely narrow feet well right out of the box. I now own two pair (one lightweight, one heavyweight and GTX) and love 'em both.
I had a pair of Raichle's for years, but they're hard to find in my area so I can't say if they still work for low volume feet.