Hiking & Marathon Training

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have finished 17 marathons, all in the last 7 years. I hike frequently, but generally not so much so in the final 2 months up to a goal marathon. I cannnot add much to what has already been said.
-Do not replace your long 20-23 mile runs with hikes
-Do not replace other key workouts such as tempo or MP runs with hikes
I will also add
- be very careful about replacing rest days with hikes, unless very easy hike. Hiking often beats my body up more then running, probably becasue I can run just about every day where hiking is at best a 2-3 times per month activity. Hiking soreness often does not show up on me until the next day. This could add to your susceptibility to injury. So I often replace a medium run with a hike and remove or reduce the runs for the 2-3 days until all hiking soreness is gone.
- Hiking does not help you in running like running, running is your best bet. If you have a time goal then hiking is more likely to hurt you. You will either skip key workouts or not get the required recovery in your plan. In many cases, you are hurt negligibly by skipping just a workout or two, and IMHO this is where people say hiking "works".

IMHO, if you live in RI, consider Cape Cod Marathon in Falmouth, MA. Very hilly but very pretty as well. This is usually run the last weekend in October. I also agree Adirondack is a beautiful course, I would say equal in difficulty (hilliness) with Cape Cod, but is typically run in late September (too early for you?). If you want a big city experience and a flatter course (which I assume you want a city experience or you would not be applying to NYC), I highly recommend Philly, run usually a week or 2 before thanksgiving and after NYC. The anti-thesis of NYC is in my town of S.Hero, VT in mid October, the Green Mountain Marathon in the Champlain Islands. Although it is nowhere near the Green Mountains, you do get good views of them as well as the Adirondacks and lake Champlain. You will not find a cheaper entry fee. You can read up on these and other marathons at http://www.marathonguide.com

I am signed up for VCM this year(May) and will be hiking allot too with weight on my back as I have also signed up for another attempt at summitting Rainier in August (my 4th attempt). I recognize that the Rainier goal will detract from my running, but I hope to minimize any impact.