How long can you last?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
Assuming you have a nice kneeling thwart and decent knee pads, how long can you paddle in the kneeling position before your feet go totally numb? I can't feel my feet after about a half hour, 45 minutes.
Would love to go all day (that's what she said) but I loose feeling from the ankles down.

What are your secrets to longer paddling while kneeling? Advil? Amputation?

IndianChris said:
Assuming you have a nice kneeling thwart and decent knee pads, how long can you paddle in the kneeling position before your feet go totally numb? I can't feel my feet after about a half hour, 45 minutes.
Would love to go all day (that's what she said) but I loose feeling from the ankles down.

What are your secrets to longer paddling while kneeling? Advil? Amputation?
There are some tricks to kneeling comfortably for long periods. I learned a technique from Caleb Davis, a master freestyle paddling instructor. Get a closed cell foam pad about 3 1/2 feet long to kneel on. Then buy one of those 3 inch diameter foam "noodles" that kids use in the pool. Cut it in half lengthwise, and duct tape it to the foam pad about 10 inches from one end. The half noodle becomes your ankle support when kneeling on the pad. It keeps your ankles in a more natural position without flattening them.

Next get yourself one of those soft padded 6-pack drink coolers. Fill it firmly with packaging foam to keep it's shape under your weight. Stuff it between your legs -this is your seat. Both of these tricks take tremendous strain off your knees and legs, while still giving you the proper positioning on your knees for paddling. I can sit comfortably while kneeling for hours with these home made pieces of gear. I've also used a small SealLine type dry bag firmly stuffed with a piece of rolled foam pad for the same under-the-butt purpose.

You should be practiced enough to paddle with complete control on one side or the other for as long as you want so you don't have to continuously adjust the kneeling pad. Don't be afraid to kneel way off center to heel the canoe over on your paddling side so the gunwale is almost at the water line. Changing position from one side to the other every 15-20 minutes or longer with this setup is enough to relieve leg strain.

Last edited:
Excellent tips above...

I rotate between kneeling, one knee up and sitting. Closed cell sleeping pads make great kneeling pads. I have one of those fancy Bell neoprene pads and it turns my bare knees into hamburger. I have seen the swimming noddle under the ankles trick work really well for people with not-so-flexible ankles. Also, just time in the boat will help you adjust. After two weeks of canoe class I can kneel all day (almost :D ). It's like anything, your body adjusts as necessary.