Jefferson-Adams via Jewell-Gulfside-Lowe's Path to Finish W48 3-19-10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spaderman

Reaction score
Park a car at Lowe's Garage & started hike from Marshfield Station with The Great Pumpkin & Mad Dog as my companions for the day. The weather proved to be an excellent. Sunscreen was passed around.:cool:

Trail Conditions: Jewell Tr. was well packed out & easily followed to treeline. The last 1/2 mi until treeline was a bushwack thru tough stuff. Microspikes proved to be sufficient for my needs, others barebooted it. Once above treeline we went to snowshoes & slanted up across the snowfield to Sphinx Col where we picked up the cairns for Gulfside Tr. The trail comes & goes but can be picked up with good visibility. No problem going up the south side of Jefferson. Coming off Jefferson toward Edmund's Col I would not recommend following the cairns once you get to the steep area. Either work your way into the rocks to the right or go to the far left before the descent keeping the rocks to your right. You'll eventually come down on the NW side of the Col. The trail descent is very steep & should only be attempted with crampons & an ice axe.:eek: Gulfside from Edmund's Col to Adams is a breeze. Lowe's Path down from Adams is well packed but the rocks are showing in many places below Adams 4 making it difficult with snowshoes. Once into treeline, the snowshoes helped on the descent down to lower Lowe's Path which was very soft. Too many post holes!::mad:

Equipment: Microspikes up to treeline, then snowshoes for the rest of the trip. Crampons & ice axe necessary for descent of Jefferson into Edmund's Col.

Found: On Jewell Trail in the bushwack near the top we found gloves. Send me a description & I'll see you get them back.

Overview: Perfect day to be in the Northern Presidentials. Spaderman pick up Winter #47 (Jefferson) & #48 (Adams) to complete his list. Mad Dog picked up two more for his winter list & The Great Pumpkin was most gracious to accompany two peakbaggers & offer his friendship.:)