Late November Mt. Washington

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qqqq

Reaction score
Howdy folks!

Was hoping to get some perspective on hiking Mt Washington around now. I have had no issues hiking Mansfield this past week, and my longest trek so far has been up Camp Muir on Rainier. However I understand that Mt. Washington especially now is a completely different beast. I am hoping to find a day with lower winds and higher temps to make the ascent.

Do you folks have any input? Would this be a poor idea for someone without a ton of winter hiking experience?

https://mountwashington.org/weather/higher-summits-forecast/
Gusts of 100mph today with highs in the mid teens.

Above treeline, things go from hiking to mountaineering this time of year. I would recommend getting some winter hiking experience at lower elevations and then above treeline experience in the summer months before tackling the summits of the Whites in winter.

If you really want to get a sense of it this time of year, I'd recommend an in and out hike to Hojos just below Tuckerman's or perhaps into the floor of the ravine. I wouldn't advise pressing on any higher though. But that would give you some idea of the area.

The weather conditions are going to vary somewhat day to day. Traction like microspikes is pretty well required gear. Winds can be big issue. Even if the forecast is good the night before, be ready to find a alternative hike if the AM forecast degrades. Definitely up your pack size and bring extra clothing to cover every part of your skin. You should have chemical handwarmers and plan on using water bottles in some sort of insulation rather than a hydration system (unless you have worked out the logistics of freezing hoses).

I strongly recommend a shake down hike that is mostly sheltered but with full exposure near the summit. Mt Jackson via the Webster Jackson loop or Mt Pierce via the Crawford Path give you a chance to get your gear checked out and the chance to see what full exposure to winter weather and winds. I prefer Mt Jackson with possibly Webster added on as the inevitably icy stretch near the summit is good test of traction aids. Views from the summit of either ones are hard to beat.

Last edited:
Always a highly subjective question based on experience level, fitness, gear you own, etc. Biggest variable like any other climb is weather. I've had official Winter ascents of Mt Washington that were far more comfortable and enjoyable than many of the shoulder season climbs I have done in OCT and NOV.

At a minimum, you'll want to have a very good understanding of the layering/clothing systems you have and at what temperatures you can rely on it for being comfortable. Not what it is rated for but what you KNOW it works in from testing it in the field. Like others have said, you'll probably want to have already tested this on safer hikes so you are POSITIVE it will do what you expect it to for the weather you are expecting. You don't want to be trying anything out for the first time on a hike like the summits of the Northern Presidentials. The exposure times are lengthy even on the easiest routes and a simple failure like fogging goggles or cold fingers affecting your ability to do tasks can become a serious issue.

Beyond that, the weather conditions and your choice of trails/route would be the next biggest factor. Each route has it's considerations. You might be able to get by with microspikes or even bare boot on an ascent from the Jewell Trail/Gulfside route but require crampons and maybe even an ice axe going up the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail or Lion Head Winter route. You should be comfortable and equipped with the related skills for the route you choose. This time of year is very unpredictable and conditions change quickly.

If you know what your gear is capable, you have the basic fitness requirements and pick a decent weather window it is not an overly dangerous hike if you use common sense and have a conservative mindset.

It is possible to make an ascent with limited experience, BUT the potential for getting in over your head is something to keep in mind this time of year. The mountain gets significant weather and even on a nice day in the valley, conditions up high can be drastically worse. The weather on the mountain can also change very quickly and the ability to notice drastic changes and descend would be quite valuable with your limited experience. Bring decent clothes for cold wet and cold weather, carry a map that you have already gone over to allow you to follow and stay on the route you chose. If you are not comfortable navigating in clouds or limited visibility, don't go up if it's not clear. Personally, I would take the Lions Head route from Pinkham Notch both up and down if I was in your shoes. The best up to date forecast for the summit is from the Observatory on the summit. mountwashington.org, check this on the very morning of your ascent. Don't be afraid to turn around if you feel uncomfortable, you could make the summit of Lions Head and decide there if things feel and look good. If you get a nice day, you might have no issues getting up and down. Things I would bring with me, Map, compass, traction, food, water, rain jacket, warm jacket, gloves, hats, good boots. The route, Tuckerman Ravine trail to Lions Head trail, back on the Tuckerman ravine trail at Tuckerman's junction to the summit, return same way, approx. 8.0 miles with 4200 elevation gain.

Pick a trail and just be prepared to turn around. I was on Ammo on Sunday and it was pretty wintery. But you are sheltered most of the way until you get close to the hut. If wind and snow squalls get uncomfortable, can turn around when you need to. I did not go past the hut (had the dog). The shoulder seasons are often harder than full winter before solid snowpack sets in or has melted out.

I strongly recommend a shake down hike that is mostly sheltered but with full exposure near the summit. Mt Jackson via the Webster Jackson loop or Mt Pierce via the Crawford Path give you a chance to get your gear checked out and the chance to see what full exposure to winter weather and winds. I prefer Mt Jackson with possibly Webster added on as the inevitably icy stretch near the summit is good test of traction aids. Views from the summit of either one are hard to beat.

I agree. And will add that the trails on the western slopes of Mt Mansfield, which is close to the OP's displayed location, will give exactly that sort of experience.

I'm heading upta deer camp up in Belvidere and cousin's report snow up in the sugarbush. NOAA is calling for ice tomorrow morning.

Pick a trail and just be prepared to turn around. I was on Ammo on Sunday and it was pretty wintery. But you are sheltered most of the way until you get close to the hut. If wind and snow squalls get uncomfortable, can turn around when you need to. I did not go past the hut (had the dog). The shoulder seasons are often harder than full winter before solid snowpack sets in or has melted out.
Fellow dog owner, what kind of dog do you have?

Thanks for all the advice folks. Ended up going up Ammo and not going past the hut due to bad visibility and wind. Hoping to find a better day to make full ascent sometime this winter, but this was a good day to test gear and get a good sense for the mountain.