Liberty & Flume – First Solo Overnight (Well, Sort of!) Another VFTT Encounter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Periwinkle

Reaction score
One of the goals I set for myself in my quest to hike the NH 4K’s was to work my way to a solo overnight trip. I’ve twice soloed at huts and also carried all my own overnight gear to backpack with a buddy, but had yet to truly go off on my own. I decided that Liberty & Flume at Liberty Spring tentsite would be a good choice – not a true backcountry solo, just a known point with the possibility of fellow hikers nearby. I was still a bit concerned after having my first bout of the lonely blues soloing Whiteface two weeks ago, but after a week in Acadia surrounded by family & friends doing great dayhikes, I felt ready to head back out again.

For me there is the additional push of being on a limited time schedule to finish the 4’s. I’m moving away soon. If I were going to solo overnight, now’s the time….

So, the former little city girl, once afraid of the dark, set out Wednesday morning loaded down under a 40 lb. pack, ready to go it alone. I no longer feel I have anything to prove solo hiking, but backpacking alone meant no calling out “Hey, honey, can you set up camp while I go fetch water?” Most of all, there would be no one to turn to if something went wrong; or even if I were just lonely or a little scared; or just wanted someone to talk to.

As I started up the trail, the wind was gusting harder than predicted. I continued up, hoping the forecast would prove true. At the worst, I would have to head back down. The trail was exactly as described, including the long slog up the steep section.

During my first standing break along the trail, I met up with a male solo hiker and a couple from Boston. We all chatted for a few minutes, during which the solo hiker mentioned that he was heading to Liberty Spring tentsite. I waved him ahead, saying that I would probably see him there.

I was glad that someone else would be at the tentsite after discovering that the caretaker is gone (didn’t mind saving the $8 tho!) After checking out all the tentsites and choosing the one I liked best, I unloaded my overnight gear and set up my tent. The wind had since subsided, but I decided to lash down my tent to the platform just in case. I pulled out my multi-tool to cut the first section of rope. Knowing that the knife was quite sharp, I was perplexed to feel resistance, yet see the rope still intact. Incredulous and dumbfounded, I looked to the opposite site of the blade to find that I was apparently attempting to amputate my index finger just below the knuckle. I had the blade backwards! Way to go woodswoman. Nice start.

Luckily, the blade was sharp (and clean) and it wasn’t much work clean and bind the wound. Unfortunately, I wasn’t quite done with my misadventures in setting up camp – I walked by Liberty “Spring”, following herd paths for a good ten minutes looking for a water source before it dawned on me that the little puddle at the sign was the water source. Finally, all camp chores aside, I headed up to the ridge with my dayhiking gear, feeling freer hiking under a substantially reduced load.

I met the solo hiker again on the summit, who I now knew as Steve after introductions at the campsite. We were soon joined by a woman named Tina, who recognized me after meeting a few weeks ago at a trail junction on my way out to Owl’s Head with my husband, Jack, and the dogs. Another man soon joined us, and a good long summit lounge ensued atop Liberty, everyone basking in the sunshine under calm blue skies on a beautiful autumn day, awed by the tremendous, clear 360 degree views.

In the course of the conversation, I mentioned a buddy of mine nicknamed “Sherpa”. Steve said, “Sherpa K?” My jaw dropped! “Nooooo”, I said, “His name is Mike. But you’re thinking of Sherpa Kroto, aren’t you? You’re at VFTT’er!” I was thrilled to discover that Steve was a fellow VFTT’er. Too cool! (Even if he does lurk more than he posts! ;) ) He had already seemed like a nice guy. Knowing him, at least in CyberSpace, made me feel much more comfortable.

Steve had already been to Flume before, so I headed out alone, mentioned that I hope to be back for sunset on Liberty. I made good time on the way out, but lingered a bit long enjoying the unique geography of the knife edge of Flume. I left myself a little over 30 minutes to make it back to Liberty for sunset.

It was quite the trek back over rocky footing. Factoring in one hand out of whack with a bandaged finger that I didn’t dare bend put me off balance using one pole. I barely made it, arriving red-faced and out of breath. I popped back up to the summit of Liberty as the blazing sun set behind the Kinsmans. Steve was still there, enjoying the sunset, and accompanied me down to the campsite.

After cleaning up, calling home to check in, and cooking dinner, I joined Steve at his tentsite to eat and talk for a while. A good deal of the conversation was VFTT-related, with Steve referring to a few of my more “memorable” posts. I was starting to feel a bit infamous. I think he just has a really good memory, tho! It was great to have someone to talk to, a common thread to refer to, and a nice person to share the experience of a clear, starry sky on a crisp October evening. I was much more comfortable heading down to my tent for the night knowing that there was someone that I “knew” nearby.

It was near my personal temperature minimum at 40 degrees that night – a bit cold, with a lot of tossing and turning. I was surprised to find that I sleep well at all, but had no worries on my mind but trying to keep my feet warm. Awaking before sunrise, I elected to snuggle back down into my sleeping bag and skip a trek back up to the ridge.

Steve stopped by on his way out to say goodbye, mentioning that he had also discarded a brief thought of hiking up for sunrise. We said goodbye, both mentioning how nice it was to be able to meet other people on the trail that you “knew”.

I hiked out under increasingly cloudy skies and a growing breeze. It seemed the forest was throwing a bon voyage party, complete with the colorful confetti of leaves floating down around me onto the trail. Bittersweet, leaving these mountains, but what a farewell.

So, so much for my “solo” overnight. I suppose it counts. I did carry all my own gear, set up camp (with my index finger still attached!), and survived a night in the “wilderness” on my own. Sort of. I had great company on the trail and nearby to share the adventure. That made all the difference! What a tremendously positive experience!

P.S. Darren – you’ve done a great thing here – in more ways than one. VFTT has made my hiking experiences positive in so many ways. I wonder how far I would have ventured to begin with without up-to-date trail conditions. How comfortable I would have been without so much great advice from everyone here. So many great people I’ve met in person, including on the trail. Much of my adventure has been enhanced by being a part of VFTT. My thanks to all. And my thanks to you, Darren. You are da man!

Congratulations on your first solo overnighter, Peri! (It still counts in my book even if there was someone else at the site!!) You should be very proud -- it's a great feeling to know that you can follow your passion without having to rely on anyone else (unless you want to, of course!) :)

How many more 4K's do you have left?

-- Ivy

Autumn on the Franconia Ridge was incredible!

poison ivy said:
...it's a great feeling to know that you can follow your passion without having to rely on anyone else (unless you want to, of course!) :)

How many more 4K's do you have left?

It is good to know that I CAN do it, it is a matter of WANT to, tho!!! Great experience, but I'd much rather have the hubby along to carry half the gear!

I have eight peaks left (either 4 or 5 trips). It's hard to believe I'm now down to single digits and have passed the 40 mark. It's been the adventure of a lifetime... I'm looking forward to finishing, but it will be so bittersweet....