Lil' Haystack, Lincoln & Lafayette (Loop): 8/02/07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HikerAmiga

Reaction score
Peaks: Little Haystack, Lincoln and Lafayette (Loop hike)

Weather: Sunny, hot, humid, hazy; upper 80’s even on the ridge and peaks!

Trail Ascended: Falling Waters:

On a hot day such as this one, it was ideal that I ascended to these peaks via the Falling Waters Trail (3.2 miles to the Franconia Ridge) as the wetness of trail made it sooo much more bearable! I found this trail delightfully beautiful as well as varied and interesting with the different terrain ranging from dry and rocky to moist and wet to include some very steep areas. Still despite what many fear from this trail and debate whether it’s best to ascend or descend it, in my view it was quite manageable as there were enough dry areas on most of this trail to bypass any wet, slippery spots that might prove precarious. Again, the numerous waterfalls and water flows were very refreshing to experience on this day!

Trail Traversed: Franconia Ridge:

From Lil Haystack (4761’) one traverses about 1.6 miles over Mts. Lincoln (5089’) and Lafayette (5261’). This is an amazing path that words cannot adequately describe. It’s a beautiful trail, easy to follow with much of it being level except on the rocky outcrops as one ascends each peak. The views are expansive and awe inspiring as one beholds the great wilderness beyond. It is interesting too that the peaks appear much closer than they actually are and on this warm weather day, the distance between the peaks seemed even greater. It’s a very popular hiking path frequented by both casual and serious hikers and on this day no matter who you were, there was one thing especially on your mind: water!! Even at this high elevation, the temps were in the upper 80’s and the hot breeze was not much of a respite either. I observed many a hiker’s face and demeanor on this hot afternoon and they all told the same story: sweat, thirst and fear (of lacking water). I must admit that it felt as though one were traversing a hot desert all the while expecting to see an oasis to find refuge in. I heard many say that they were low on water and a few say they were actually out completely! One young boy, probably about 12 years old said he had run out of water and felt like he would pass out! I actually was carrying extra water on this day and I couldn’t in good conscience walk away without aiding him, so I gave him my extra bottle. He took it and ran away! At some distance he appeared to stop to drink while staring back at me. (Poor kid! Possibly he ran for fear that I’d take the water back?) :eek: :p

Trail(s) Descended: Greenleaf and Old Bridal Path:

From Mt Lafayette one descends Greenleaf Trail for 1.1 miles to the Greenleaf hut. The hut had a full house on this day from what I sensed as there wasn’t a seat available in the hut—everyone taking shelter from the outdoor heat! As soon as I walked in, I forgot my need to use the privy and instead headed towards the sink to fill up my camelbak as it was nearly empty now. Out of the corner of my eye, I sensed onlookers and when I turned towards the tables, I saw the young kid I’d given water too and his friends all looking at me and smiling, nodding a “hello”. I smiled back and headed outside to sit, relax and refuel a bit before continuing downward. There was lots of activity here at the hut and I sat watching as people came and went. Again, most had a tired, sweaty demeanor but a look of relief as they approached the hut. The thought that one can usually get hydrated for free at an AMC hut is a wonderful prospect! I got to exchange a bit of conversation while sitting on that porch and it always surprises me when people ask if I am hiking alone and at my reply, they usually express disbelief. Why? Do I look like someone that is incapable of holding up on this type of hike? This always gives me a chuckle… :D

I continued the last part of my trek down via the Old Bridal Path, a trail that I’d only hiked one other time when I first summated Mt. Lafayette so I was familiar with it and other than the several outcrops of ledges revealing expansive views, I again found it uninteresting save for these ledges and a few steep, slippery slab sections that required special concentration and caution while tackling. Also, on this day, this trail was extremely dry and parts of it were very sandy and/or gravelly (word?) thus making it slippery. Nonetheless, it was the last leg of the hike and after a long day full of both wonder and challenges, I cruised down it without a care!

It’s worth noting that I really enjoyed this loop hike despite the challenging weather. What made it a special hike besides the natural beauty of the trails was that I met and had many exchanges with a variety of people, young and old and of various backgrounds and it’s always wonderful to know that so many people can share great pleasure in the simplest things in life! :)

Picture album to follow shortly…

Last edited: