Loop from Pinkham to Greaf Gulf/Alpine Garden

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

Pinkham -> Old Jackson Rd -> Madison Gulf Tr -> Great Gulf Tr -> Wamsutta -> Alpine Garden -> Lion's Head -> Tuckerman Ravine Tr -> Pinkham

Date of Hike: 05/17/08

Trail Conditions: Everything was very pleasant, except Wamsutta. Madison Gulf Tr. should be renamed to Moose Bathroom Trail. No significant mud or snow patches to speak of... until Wamsutta. Wamsutta was a terrible ordeal in patience, brute strength, and endurance. Lots of snow and super steep. Lots of downed trees on it as well, and not the simple obstacle kind. Took me 3 hrs uphill with an overnight backpack (book time is 2hrs). Lion's Head has been switched over to the summer version, however, it does still cross 2 very sideways-steep snow sections; poles useful here. That part needs to be done carefully to avoid sliding down the steep snow slope and into trees.

Special Equipment Required: Gaiters for Wamsutta highly recommended. Hiking poles probably also very useful. It's lots of postholing and kicking steps there. Maybe light gloves for when you sink in and need to touch the snow surface.

Comments: Wamsutta is not in good shape. I'd avoid it... or if you want a challenge, then it's the one to do! Entire circuit took 10 hours carrying an overnight pack full of gear I never used (I was thinking my pace was going to be a lot slower that I'd camp in the Great Gulf).

Your name: Manuel Balderas

Your E-mail address: manuel[dot]balderas[at]gmail[dot]com