Lost teen hikers found safe in Brookline

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Rooney

Reaction score
From yesterday's Manchester Union Leader:

June 17. 2013 9:10AM
Lost teen hikers found safe in Brookline

BROOKLINE – Search teams were assembled Saturday evening when two teens called 911 after becoming lost while hiking the Milford Rail Trail.

According to state Fish & Game officials, about 11 a.m. the 15- and 16-year-old teens, without a map of the area or a compass to guide them, set out to hike the trail in Milford.

They lost the trail and, after being lost for about an hour, called 911 for help. The GPS coordinates obtained from their 911 call put them near the power line west of Route 13 in Brookline, authorities said.

A concerned citizen found them unharmed as Brookline fire personnel arrived on the scene.

Fish & Game conservation officer Todd Szewczyk brought them home.
(emphasis mine).

What stuck me in this article was there was no mention of whether these two young people had any knowledge of how to use a map and compass, even if they'd had one with them. I mean, without that knowledge maps & compasses are about as useful as a jar of mustard in terms of getting anyone found.

My first response was How could any one get lost in Brookline? It's gotta be a joke, right? Then upon reading the article I thought How could any one lose a rail trail!

Sigh.

My first response was How could any one get lost in Brookline? It's gotta be a joke, right? Then upon reading the article I thought How could any one lose a rail trail!

Sigh.
Glad kids are ok.Gotta love all the towns with the same name in nh and mass,it gets tricky.Got a laugh from your post because I used to get lost in Brookline mass[boston],all the time[late 90's].Usually just trying to turn around and get back to kenmore square and the old rathskeller[punk rock gigs].Throw in a sox game on a friday night and it was lots of lost time in brookline.Of course there is a rail line[rail trail] in both brooklines!:)

Sigh.

That occurred to me, too - maybe they left the old railroad bed? But, with so few details, it's hard to know/guess why they got lost.