Low tide

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brambor

Reaction score
I shot this today. I've been eyeing the meandering brook at low tide for some time and ventured out today before the sunrise.

I'm looking for help with the horizon/shoreline. Is it straight? The meandering S curve throws me off a little.

381671911_7513231909.jpg

Brambor said:
I shot this today. I've been eyeing the meandering brook at low tide for some time and ventured out today before the sunrise.

I'm looking for help with the horizon/shoreline. Is it straight? The meandering S curve throws me off a little.

Looks pretty straight to me. If you use Photoshop choose View>Rulers (Ctrl-R) and drag a horizontal guide down from the top ruler to the horizon to check it.

Kevin

I agree with Kevin. I was able to align the shore against the top of my screen, and it is level. More definitively, there are several small reflection elements at the center and left of center; when I align the line connecting those objects with their reflection against the side of my screen, they are vertically plumb.

I know what you mean about being thrown off by the S curve, that is very common phenomena. Some shorelines that recede slightly on one side can also be real bears to align. And often when you get the water flat, the receding line looks unsettling.

I like the photo. It reminds me of the photo of the cover of Andy Goldsworthy's DVD Rivers and Tides. I actually prefer your photo for its greater simplicity. BTW, that is a pretty interesting video if you like seeing the affect of rising tides, sun, weather, and time on Andy's temporary works art, which are constructed with natural elements for the purpose of filming their demise. I see there is a new 2 DVD set out with bonus material. I have the original disc which is also still available.

Last edited:
Thank You.

I have seen Rivers and Tides. I loved it. Andy is a great artist.

Really like the simple flow and curve of the stream leading to the ocean. Great composition and utilization of the whole frame for this feature. I might try to lighten the whole thing up a hair, but otherwise this is a very effective image for me!