Lower Range 10/1

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John K

Reaction score
After years of lurking and allowing others to post our reports, I now venture out to pen my own. On Sunday morning with short notice I headed out alone to my first overnight at the JBL. The plan was to base out of there Sunday and Monday nights, tackle the lower range on Monday, and pack out Tuesday. I arrived at the Garden late afternoon Sunday and loaded up for the short trek to the lodge, but the trip was slowed considerably by the sidestepping needed to accommodate the throngs exiting from their hikes. I arrived around 4pm and met Nate the hut master who gave me a rundown and showed me my bunk. I then lounged on the porch and was drawn into quick conversations with numerous folks passing by, and a young couple celebrating his 30th birthday on his 30th peak – the 30th highest. At dinner I met the other guests - Joe and Tom from Brooklyn, and Ed and Dennis from Quakertown, PA - and settled in for a night in front of the fire spinning tales. Up at 7:30 and amazing the others with my new coffee press, I was off to Gothics under a cloudless blue sky at 9am. Took the Woodsfall Trail to the five way junction that hooks up to the Ore Bed Trail. From there it was a quick easy grade to the lean-to and beyond before heading up near a slide. It was then I noticed that the clouds had set in and I muttered some words under my breath and kept trudging. The trail description was true to form as I followed the creek bed rather than the trail on two separate occasions. Upon reaching the ladders the mist was thick enough and the temp low enough to don my jacket. By the time I reached the cables it was cold enough to put some light gloves on. I muttered more and headed up the slide and upon reaching the west summit I was met with howling wind and 10 ft visibility. I stopped to take a picture of”the greatest views in the High Peaks” only to find the camera was out. No problem I will take one on my cell phone to prove my feat – left phone at lodge. Sensing a bad day I trudged on and dropped at the summit at 11:30, determined to wait out the clouds as bits of sunshine peeked through. I changed to a dry shirt and pulled out my water bottle. While looking for my map I spilled the bottle on my already wet shirt. Humph. After 30 minutes of deciding which way to head out I opted to finish the planned hike and headed for Armstrong. The ridge along Gothics was socked in until the descent when the skies opened up and the sun drenched valley below came into view. Maybe things were looking up.
The trip to Armstrong was quick and at the ledge looking back to Gothics the view was breathtaking. Clouds were swimming over the peak and then rising high above before rolling back. The wind was howling and it seemed as if I could reach out and touch the clouds. On a couple of occasions the clouds appeared to be rushing toward Armstrong then suddenly they would vaporize. Looking down the upper range it appeared they were all under the same cloud but, the valley below and Big Slide were in full bloom with lots of red and scattered gold. After 45 minutes I was off to the next peak and revitalized that all of my bad luck was behind me. Lots of butt sliding over ledges and interesting climbs down outcrops finished with a quick climb down a ladder before crossing the shoulder to Upper Wolf Jaw. On the way up I encountered my first hiker of the day in a 46’r hat and staff. After a quick hello and weather report I was atop Upper Wolf Jaw at 2pm looking over a whole new view. Shoes and socks off to air out and a quick bite and it was off to the last peak of the day, easily visible and not looking to far off. What a trip down to the col between the two as I navigated into several new knee scrapes. Quick to the top of Lower Wolf Jaw and back down without dropping my pack I headed back to JBL via the Range Trail – a welcome descent after burning quads and thighs on the previous three drops in elevation. Stopped at the Wolf Jaw lean to read the book and pressed on. Back on the Woodsfall trail I noticed the brilliant yellow and gold that the sunlight was coming through. I was so taken that I tripped several times as the debate to watch my footing and the scenery competed for my attention.
Back to the JBL by 5pm it was dinner and more lies around the fire (most centering on the older I get the better I was theme) before turning in. Up at 7:30 and again amazing the others with my boiled water quality, I headed out to the Garden for the ride home. Stopped at the Noonmark for pie with Ed and Dennis and regaled a couple with our tales of the wild then slipped into the Mountaineer to grab a new toy and head home.
Moral of the day - any trip is a great rip and the fog really does lift.