Macomb from Elk Lake 12/26/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkL

Reaction score
Canton, NY. Avatar: Mt. Washington in Winter:
It was 6:12AM (does anyone remember the insect repellent named 6-12? Help! I'm hijacking my own thread before finishing the first sentence!! ) when five of us set out from the gate by the caretaker's house for Macomb, Carson, and Grace. We hoped to find broken herd paths to ease and speed our way so that we might even add Hough. But in the register at the right side of the gate we saw that nobody had signed in since 12/12, IIRC. Well, maybe once we got to Macomb we'd find the herd path beaten from and back to Carson. That would be despite the previous day's forecast winds of 60 -70mph in the peaks. (BTW, here's a link to NOAA's higher summits forecast. False hope springs eternal... We all maintained a good pace for the ~2 miles of road to the summer trailhead. All put on nowshoes at the t/h.
The trail was broken, but soft. In about 10 minutes we came to a blowdown that we had to belly-crawl under. On the other side of that, the trail wasn't broken, or wasn't as broken. I wasn't in the lead at that time, so it wasn't easy to tell. There was enough snow and crust to put us into rotate-the-lead mode. We continued in that mode after turning up the herd path. Breaking became more difficult as snow and slope increased. We went off to the right of the herd path and realized we must have made a mistake around the a snowshoe broke.It was fixed with cord, but wasn't thought to be a sturdy enough fix to continue with, so one party member turned around then and there. We all turned around to try to find the h/p and after ~10 minutes of casting around, we were on it. It continued to be slow going as we took turns breaking. We hoped for something better on the slide, but feared it could be wind-blown down to bare rock and unavoidable patches of ice. That would mean changing to crampons, then back to snowshoes at the top of the slide, back to crampons to descend the slide, then snowshoes. Fortunately, the slide had good snow cover, more than enough to dig our snowshoes into. Also fortunately, one group member was having an unusually strong day, and broke the whole way up the slide (pretty hard) and from the top of the slide to the summit (even harder). There was a thin crust over powder plentiful enough to sometimes cause slips. We went up the left side of the slide.
At the big rock at the top, we continued straight up, going through a narrow gully with deep snow, then around to the right of the ice covered headwall. Two members looked at the lay of the land and decided not to follow the first two. Instead they broke a way further to the right around a big outcropping. That was a much safer route which we all used on the way down.
From there on the going got much harder. Between the snow depth and slope, The leader sometimes ran into chest-deep snow. It took about 1.5 hours from the rock, but at 1:42PM we reached the summit. 7.5 hours to summit! There was no sign of anyone having gotten here from Carson or West Mill Brook. Even if there had been a beaten path, we were too tired and it was too late to go for another peak. After a very few pics, we decided to get out of the summit breeze and eat something substantial.
It took half an hour to get down to the rock, 1/3 of the ascent time. From there we made quick work of the slide. I tried glissading, but snow conditions weren't quite right for that. The other 3 butt slid quite a bit.
Soon after getting on the herd path at the bottom of the slide, Someone heard and saw a raven sitting on a tree top near Macomb's summit. It looked big for the distance, but I still tend to overestimate the distance to nearby visible summits. We got down to the trail just before 4PM, and soon afterward saw an occasional right boot print in the trail. The owner was right about turning around when he did. The fix finally failed when he was back down on the trail.
We got back to the road without using head lamps, but started using them right there to stow our snowshoes and start walking to the gate. We got back to the gate about 4 hours after leaving the summit.

Is the Round Pond trail is broken to Dix? Well, no cars were there just before 5:30AM, and the previous night's wind might have blown in tracks at elevation.
If anyone wants to go into the 4 lower Dixes, the route that we packed may be the best way to get up there, unless the current rain consolidates everything to make all approaches easily walkable. I hope that easy walkability doesn't require crampons.

Mark, since we are planning to climb Macomb on Tuesday we are extremely thankful and can reasonably hope to go even further along the Dixes Ridge!
:D

Mark, since we are planning to climb Macomb on Tuesday we are extremely thankful and can reasonably hope to go even further along the Dixes Ridge!
:D
I'm glad our path will help someone. And if you can push beyond Macomb, it may just help us!
I mentioned going off to the right of the herd path. On the way back down we brushed in two false paths, but we didn't use a lot of brush, so make sure your leader is alert. Both false paths go to the right.

perhaps...

Blackspruce,

And will you be possibly be using the Lillian Brook route as a descent option?? Enquiring Vultures want to know….

Of course! Brian, but it would be even better if you could the same day climb up via Lillian Brook...

Christine

Alas - I cannot get away until Thursday afternoon - was going to camp at Slide Brook and the next AM see about Lillian Brook...

Blackspruce,

And will you be possibly be using the Lillian Brook route as a descent option?? Enquiring Vultures want to know….

Of course! Brian, but it would be even better if you could the same day climb up via Lillian Brook...

Christine

This is the winter position-jockeying dance of the North American Trail Vulture.
It is rarely observed, so we are lucky indeed!:)