Mahoosuc Notch in late-May

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kamoore63

Reaction score
Hi folks. I've managed to somehow avoid ever doing Mahoosuc Notch but want to do that section of the A.T. sometime this year. I was thinking of Memorial Day weekend. From the trail guide, it appears that it could be impassable then due to snow. Given the low amounts of snow this year, however, I'm thinking it might be okay. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on getting through the Notch on Memorial Day weekend?

Thanks,
K

well, close...

We hiked it two years ago the first week in June- no snow or ice except for very small bits in caves under the rocks. It all depends on snow in April and the beginning of May- way too early to tell, but certainly possible that there will be none, and also certainly possible (but less likely) that there will be a fair amount.

One thing there may well be is lots of BLACKFLIES! We were chopped to smithereens, one micron at a time.
Weatherman

I agree it is too early to tell. The spring weather will have much to do with it. Also, I can't personally comment on recent conditions, but the Mahoosucs do tend to have a bit more snow than the Presidential area.

On the bright side, while the blackflies are horrendous along the coast in May, I think that's a bit early for the western mountains.