Middle Abraham-Poplar Ridge 8/12/06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamehiker

Reaction score
Thanks to dms and Jim C for showing the way to Middle Abe. I was able to drive almost to the col. 45 Mins. after leaving my car I was on top. The hardest part of the "whack" were the raspberries in the "clear cut". Otherwise you can't call that a whack.

Back to the car by 10:10 AM I was able to scout out the Barnjum Road up to the AT. It was driveable all the way but rough for the last .3 mile. 2 other vehicles were up there.

Then over to Poplar Ridge. From the 4-Way intersection at East Madrid and Barnjum Roads I was able to drive 4.0 Miles, the last .4 was on the old Railroad bed. Delorme does not accurately show all the roads that go off to the left. So if you're heading to the AT or Redington Falls, just stay to the right. From where I parked it was 1 Mile to the AT- an easy flat 20 mins.

After bagging the peak I went down to the Shelter and spent an enjoyable 1/2 hour talking to 5 Northbounders and 1 Southbounder. While I was there it rained hard for 5 minutes - good timing. On the way back down a Navy flyer was going back and forth overhead. Orbeton Stream was an easy rock hop.
Back to car by 4:30.
Gamehiker

Thanks for the post!
mhrsebago & I where just across the valley from you on Black Nubble. We caught a glimps of the jet, it looked like an A-10 'Warthog'. I'm glad to hear the approach to Poplar via Orbeton Stream is so do-able. We where discussing that yesterday.

Onestep

Way to go Jim! You'll be a resident of Barnjum soon! Glad it worked out so well.