Middlesex Fells 5/7

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapblatt

Reaction score
"Rainy days and Saturdays never get me down..."

What do you do when you have a major hike planned in two weeks, cannot head north becasue of Mother's Day weekend and it is totally pouring, cool and windy? Well Russ (McRat) and me found ourselves in a similar predicament and hit the Middlesex Fells for a 4 + hour drenching hike this morning.

We headed out from the MDC Rink lot across the Cross Fells Trail and into the western section of the Fells we headed north over portions of the Skyline Trail up towards Sheepsfold and then we kind of went of trail a bit...signs, what signs? Hit one very tricky part where the north resevoir had totally flowed over the trail and with some fancy footwork and tree hugging we managed to avoid total moisture. We continued north until we hit a fence that we would have likely climbed had we been twenty years younger and a nervous looking home owner was not looking out their windows at us. Headed back south with some nice trail sections and some more bushwacking in a section that was flooded out. Eventually made it down to the southern end and brave Russ summited Turtle Rock while I watchd the pounding surf crash against the rocks. We guessed the wind to be coming across the water at about 40mph. When we were in any exposed areas the elements were quite harsh and as we made our way back into the forest it was usually a good deal calmer.

If you have never hiked in the fells it is a great place to get a mid week workout or a long weekend hike when you just do not have the time to get to the mountains. As Russ pointed out you can easily do 15 miles in there without repeating any trails. We hit a good variety of flat woodlands walking and a lot of rocky areas as well.

All in all, my second consecutive soaked Saturday, over four hours on the trail and somwhere between 7-9 miles of hiking. Pretty cool. And we made it to the REI sale (it looked like Christmas in there...) by 12:15!

I think I've almost dried out! Will be getting a rain cover or plastic bag for the pemi loop.

Fun walk, Mike. I had more fun walking five hours in the woods, than I would have had driving five hours in the rain to get soaked.

Trail was a little overgrown in places with the traditional blazing pattern of none, none, none, and then several blazes to make up for the missing ones.

Essentially followed the sort of route that happens when it is raining too hard to take out the map. Practically did a S&R pattern between Bear Hill and the reservoir.

Chafing notwithstanding, hiking in the rain is so much easier when you know there is a warm house to go to.

I live a mile from the Fells so I hike out there a lot, especially this time of year when there's still too much snow in the Whites for my liking. The one thing you have to watch out for in the Fells is unleashed dogs! I got bit (okay, nipped) on the butt last week for the second time in 2 years. I like dogs just fine but I really wish pet owners would have a little consideration and obey the leash laws.

thanks,
denton fabrics

I have been out there twice this year and most dogs are unleashed. I find that trekking poles are quite useful and I have a pretty potent spray for dogs. When an owner sees me pull that out they tend to get the dog on leash quite quickly. I also love dogs and I am dumbfounded by how few people control or leash their animals. Some dogs are very friendly and very well trained, but I have been charged by a large German Shepard this year off the Blueberry Ledge trail (later in the day I met him again and thought he was very friendly, but in the morning he was defending the campsite). I also ran into an unleashed Rottweiler on Dickey Mountain...very nice, very well trained...but I was very nervous as I knew this was a dog that I could not handle if I had to.
Let me or McRat know if you want to hike in the Fells...we are trying to get out there after work once or twice a month.