Millbrook Ridge-Gertudes Nose 1-20

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

Reaction score
Ulster County, NY Avatar: Chapel Pond From Giant M
Normally I wouldn't bother writing a TR for one of my run of the mill Gunks hikes, but I will to note a trail re-route.

Today I hiked a double loop from West Trapps >Trapps Bridge>Millbrook Ridge>Millbrook Mt.>Gertrudes Nose, loop back to Millbrook Mt. by way of carriageway>Millbrook Mt. trail>Coxing Trail>Trapps Carriageway, back to West Trapps.

Never need traction aids. Stablicers might be helpful for some folks, particularly on the short steep bits-the first climb up Millbrook Ridge from Trapps Carriageway, and to a lesser extent the couple sections shortly before Millbrook Mt. Crampons would be overkill, snowshoes would be ridiculous. There is a couple inches of fairly hard snow in many/most places, with a good amount of bare rock and oak leaves everywhere else. Scattered water ice, mostly easily avoidable.

There is a short but very conspicuous re-route on the blue Millbrook Ridge Trail, due to private property. It is between the intersection with the red Millbrook Cross Trail and the "summit" of Millbrook Mt. It starts shortly past the intersection, moves the trail a little ways west into the woods from the old trail, and rejoins the old trail in a bouldery area, just past an open area, and a little before the short, steep sections. It is often within sight of the old trail. At one point the re-route is within sight of a large, balanced erratic, which is now no longer on the trail, and which may be remembered by those familiar with this trail.

There are several posted and private property signs, along with Mohonk Preserve witness markers and re-route signs at both ends of the re-route. The whole thing looks fairly new. What is unusual is that the NYNJTC map shows this part of the trail as being within Preserve lands, although very close to private property. The maps must have been a little off. The re-route does not affect the overall hike all that adversely, but it was certainly a surprise. Hopefully there are not plans to develop this land. All the signs are bad enough.

I will try to pop into the Preserve visitors center next time I'm up there to see if anyone knows anything about the property up there. There may be something about it in the next issue of "Ridgelines."

Matt