Mount Shasta

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADK4Life

Reaction score
Montreal, Quebec Avatar : Minarets From Mammoth S
I am headed down to Shasta in Late July. There is no way I am taking the tourist route up this mountain. Has anyone taken routes other than Green butte, Avalanche Gulch etc..? As it is right now I am taking Wintun Ridge and the ridge proper to summit on the east side of the mountain. Are there are other ascents one would reccomend?

Shasta alternative routes

The Hotlum-Bolam ridge on the north side is a great moderate, non-technical climb. There are good campsites on flat benches at 10K. I was there in 2000 in early June and had the entire north side of the peak to myself for a few days. The crowds started showing up on Friday afternoon. Quite a different experience from the Avalanche Gulch route (although even that route is not so crowded on weekdays). If you're climbing with a partner, the Bolam Glacier is also an easy alternative. But it is a glacier so you should have glacier travel skills and equipment.

I'm climbing on the north side of Shasta in a few weeks. I'll send you a trip report. Have fun. - Al

trip report

Hey Al, if you don't mind, post your trip report here. I'm going up Shasta in August, and i'm interested in your route too.

thx!

Sierras

ADK4life, in additon to Shasta, my partner and I are climbing in the Palisades area of the Sierras later this month. We plan to climb Temple Crag, Mt. Sill, Polemonium and North Palisade. Let me know if you're interested in this area also.

I have decided on climbing Mount Darwin via Lamarck Col for my High Sierra adventure..I would really like to see Temple crag up close.

My First choice was Whitney via Mountaineers route but lost the lottery. Next was Tyndall via Sherpards Pass but there is no good availability.

not south

Hey ADK...i'll be coming down from Oregon, so any more climbing i do will probably be Thielsen, McGloughin...but not the High Sierra. this year at least.