MSR MIOX Filter?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomEske

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone here has any hands on experience with the MSR MIOX filter? I've read all the reviews/publicity about it, and understand how it works. However, nowhwere can I find out how much water will be purified by one dose of the "mixed odidant" cocktail. In other words, if I want to purify 2 gallons of water, how many times do I need to cycle the filter?
This is a pricy gizmo, but when you have a group, it can take quite a while to process all the water required with a single pump system. This is very appealing to those of us who hike/camp in larger groups of a half dozen or more.
Any experiences?
Thanks,
Tomeske

Tom,

You can treat up to 96 ounces with a single "dose" of the cocktail(there is a setting for 16oz, 32 oz, 64oz and 96oz). For anything over this all you have to do is prepare another cocktail and add it to the water to be purified. I believe the literature states that you can treat up to 4 gallons in a single container using this method. It looks like a neat alternative to pumping for large volumes.

I used one during one trip before winter started up, ADKMan's info is on the dot and:

Had some problems using recommended dosing level and getting a clear positive from the test strips. Had to double dose in several cases. Conversations with MSR also recommend quadruple dosing when not confirming effectiveness with the test strips.

Looks like it will do well for large amount of water. It will replace iodine for me pending any developing problems.

Reminds me of the Magic Markers I would steal from my Dad's studio as a kid...

I kind of wonder what the big plus for the unit is? It seems to have the same pluses and minuses of Aquamira for treatment effectiveness but sounds like it is far more complicated with more things that can go wrong. What am I missing?

Peakbagger,
From what I've read, the Aquamira system requires both the chemical treatment, PLUS you must run it throough a particle filter to eliminate cryptosporidia and giardia. The MIOX system does it all in one shot with a simple 'cocktail" mix, and just wait. The only perishables are some salt and camera type battreries.
As I understyand it, that is the basic diffenece. I am looking at getting away from the particle filters and all the pumping required for a group.
Yes, I know abouut the 'personal' bottle systems, but they just don't fit when your trying to do a couple of gallons.
Thanks for all the replies, as usual they were useful and informative.
Tomeske

I hate to sound like a synic, but why spend $115 when iodine tabs do the same thing? I don't get it. And don't forget iodine tabs leave no tase anymore because of the nuetralizing tabs that follow. So what is the advantage?

Capoken said:
I hate to sound like a synic, but why spend $115 when iodine tabs do the same thing?

For me iodine has a few problems, due to taste I drink less, neutralizing tablets/Vitamin C are a no go for me on doctors advice and iodine does not kill one of the possible little buggers out there.

So far the drawbacks of the miox are cost and a bit of complexity. I'm willing to bet it's form factor will change, it's thought out but not clever. A few times after treatment I got a bit of a wiff of chlorine off the miox cocktail, but no taste or scent in the water

Interesting statement on Aquamira. Most references I have seen did not reference the need to filter for giardia or crypto, but they did mention the same limitation as the Miox of four hours to be effective on crypto. I have seen references that high organic levels can wipe out either one.

All I know is what I read. On the Campmor page for Aquamira (chemical kit only) is the following statement:

"Note: To remove Giardia and Cryptosporidium pathogens, use (#25674) Aquamira™ water bottle and filter kit."

I'm assuming they did this for a reason. However, it IS interesting to note that on all the web pages I found about the chemicals, they never really tell you what it does kill as a chemical alone, it just says "bacteria". If you use the filter bottle, then apparently it does everything the average hiker would want.

My interest in the MIOX is really one of education. I try to stay up on what is new and how it works. I'm not necessarily going to run out and buy a MIOX until the price comes down. I'm just trying to maintain my knowledge, not make judgements on what is "the best" way.
With all the above comments, it does seem like the MIOX is a good way to go for group water, even with the 4 hour wait for crypto.
Thanks all,
Tom

I did some more reading and find that Iodine does not Kill cryptosporidia. I never realized this. I too thought that iodine did it all, just had the taste issues.
On the other hand, I wonder what the real threat of crypto is in the daks, catskills, and whites?
You learn something new everyday.
Tom

I saw a recent study (can't remember where) that said Crypto was present in 24% of backcountry water sources. Similar to Giardia though, the presence and consumption of Crypto does not always lead to infection.

With regards to Aquamira, I contacted the company a few months ago and spoke with an individual there. I was told that Aquamira is effective against crypto if you double the dose and the exposure time. They are currently awaiting EPA certification. Assuming that this information is true, this would put Aquamira at the top of my list for chemical treatment of water. As mentioned earlier, iodine does not kill Crypto. The Micropur tablets (by Katadyn) take 4 hours, and the MIOX filter seems costly and cumbersome.

John

I didn't expect it to go this far, but just to be accurate for those who are reading along: The MSR MIOX unit is about the size of a magic marker and weighs 3.5 onces. You need salt and some test strips. It runs on (2?) camera type batteries. Everyone has his/her own perception, but that doesn't really seem all that cumbersome to me.
Warren, please correct me if I'm wrong here, as you have actually used the device.
Although I sure don't have the cash for a nifty gizmo like this, I have to say it's appealing. It sure is a lot smaller than all those pump filters and much less work. I don't really like messing with chemicals so I use the filter pump method.
Johnnycakes: DId the Aquamira folks say anything about Giarda? That disclaimer on the Campor page still concerns me.
All in the interest of staying educated.
Tom

Tom,

When I spoke with Aquamira, they indicated that Giardia was not a concern. In other words, the regular dose and exposure time would do the trick.

I think the note you see on the Campmor site refers to physically "removing" the cysts. I'm not sure why they chose to word it that way. I'm also not sure why the advertising (on their own website) for Aquamira doesn't specifically state that it kills Giardia and Crypto. Instead, it says it kills "odor causing bacteria." My guess is that they have not obtained EPA certification yet, so they are not able to make that claim.

John