Mt Abraham and Mt Ellen - 10/18/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btausend

Reaction score
Via The Long Trail

I started out from Lincoln Gap at 7:45 am. It was partly cloudy and cool, but not cold. By the afternoon temps were in the high 50s to low 60s. It was a beautiful day for a fall hike.

The trail started out covered in leaves, but after a short distance the trees were mostly spruce/pine and leaves were no longer an issue. The trail is very rocky with plenty of roots. As you approach the peak of Abraham the trail is steep with mostly large rocks/ledges. The trail up to Abraham and over to Ellen is wet and muddy in places. There were a few patches of snow around the ski area peaks, but not enough to make a good snowball.

On the way back to Lincoln Gap I passed 2 backpackers and about 25 to 30 day hikers. Mt Abraham seems to be a very popular hike. There was also a trail crew of about 5 people cleaning out the water bars, trimming branches and a few other things.

The Battell shelter is about 1.9 miles from Lincoln Gap. There is a outhouse and water available here. I assume the water would need to be filtered.

Lincoln Gap is closed in the winter. Last year it closed on November 4th so you may want to check with the Warren, VT town clerk before heading up there.

Brian
NH48, NH W20, NE53 (VT-5 ME-0)