Mt. Adams, The Perch, and Bear sighting

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gforce

Reaction score
5/27-5/28

Did a solo overnight to the Perch from Bowman trailhead. After the frist stream crossing I was walking along (quietly I guess) turned a corner a was surprised to see two bear cubs crossing the path, (aprox. 50' away) almost simultaneously I saw the Mama bear off to the left. I was a bit startled and so were the cubs as they immediately ran up a tree directly adjacent to the path. I backed down the path carefully until I was out of sight. I waited for 10-15 minutes getting swarmed by mosquitos until I couldn't stand still any longer. So I peeked around the corner to see the cubs coming down the trail towards me!! Mama not in sight this time. I retreated again and saw the cubs head off to the side. I waited another 15 min. and tried again, this time no further sightings. I did keep clearing my throat and making more noise than normal hoping I wouldn't surprise them again. Didn't try to get pictures, maybe I should have?

Trail conditions were near perfect. No bugs over 3000', Only negligible snow or ice patches all the way to Mt Adams summit. No special equipment needed. I had gaiters, traction, and ski poles, Only used the poles but snow cups unnecessary. Stream crossings not difficult, I did get a foot wet but pretty easy to get across.

I stopped and made camp at the Perch and then continued to summit Adams. Conditions were very foggy and wind gusts to 50+. I could only see from cairn to cairn and was glad to have a GPS. Overnight there was a little icey rain but overall conditions were good, just no views. By the tme I got back to the car fog had burned off and I had great views.

Didn't see anyone the whole trip. I must have missed the RMC caretaker (I'll send the $7.00) The Perch is a great campsite with a composting toilet.

Great trip and first Bear sighting mad it really special!
Glenn