Mt. Flume 7/27-28th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffAm1

Reaction score
Headed up Mt. Flume with the wife this weekend for a hike & overnight camp - parked at (totally packed) Lincoln Woods Station around noon and headed up shortly thereafter. Our route would take us down Lincoln Woods to Osseo Trail to Franconia Ridge Trail. The flat then gentle grade up of Lincoln Woods and the first 1/3 of Osseo made for a nice warmup. Trail conditions on both were very good, minor mud here and there - interesting also to see the damage from hurricane Irene on Lincoln Woods, that fix up job next month will be pretty significant. Anyway, with full packs we made our way up Osseo which was dry overall and in good condition. Towards the later half, the stairway section was dry and other than a few loose rocks on the peak-approach nothing too technical presented itself. After hanging out a while at the peak, taking some pics and chatting with a few other hikers, we made our way back down below tree line to find and set up camp for the night. What was most striking was the lack of any real "woodland sounds" so to speak, everything was so quiet, a few other folks we met on the trail commented on it as well. All night was totally silent too - no birds, no scrambling chipmunks, etc. just silence, occasionally accented by a small breeze. Pretty cool, but a bit eerie at the same time. Anyway, as her first "full pack" hike and camp, I was very proud of my wife - she was (mostly :) ) a trooper throughout!

- Jeff

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 159
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 156
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 147
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 150
Great pics, Jeff. Glad you two had a good weekend. I did this hike with Sunshine Chris last December, with a bit of snow and ice above 3200', but not too bad for the most part. What a beauty is Flume - neat to see your pics of iconic shots and compare and contrast them with some Chris and I took. My report of our hike is here: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthre...he-Sunshine-Ascending-Flume-Via-Osseo-12-9-12.