Mt Jefferson Edmunds Col Cutoff Hiker Helicopter Rescue

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

In Rembrance , July 2024
Staff member
Reaction score
No details yet but saw some paywalled headlines that a hiker had a serious broken leg and had to crawl to a helicopter. As soon as anyone has seen a non firewalled report, fell free to post it.

Must have been a busy weekend. They even had a rescue right next to me here in NE CT at tiny Bigelow Hollow State Park. Two hikers were lost overnight but were found and out of he woods at 6AM this morning. Pretty tough spot to get lost. Full cell coverage. Guessing they didn't have any light source but I didn't listen to the story on the news Sure it was something foolish..

Last edited:
Seems many of the trails around that area are tough. Cornice for example. We were on Monroe and Eisenhower. Lots of folks out, as expected.

Seems many of the trails around that area are tough. Cornice for example. We were on Monroe and Eisenhower. Lots of folks out, as expected.
Edmands Col Cutoff is particularly awkward, even for the other trails in that area. It has some boggy, muddy areas that are way deeper than they appear, some steep and very awkward scrambles with roots, and numerous very steep and lively slides to traverse where the cairns are routinely swept away and the trail bed is not evident. Last time I was in there I had some sketchy moments skirting the edges of these slides. Not at all surprised by the broken leg. Very slow going. Cornice by comparison is a sidewalk. I'm sure the intent of this trail was to save time cutting over to Edmands Col but in reality it does not accomplish that at all. It reminds me of the Parapet Trail over on Madison. Sections of that trail are quite tedious. I'd rather go up over Madison.

Edmands Col Cutoff is particularly awkward, even for the other trails in that area. It has some boggy, muddy areas that are way deeper than they appear, some steep and very awkward scrambles with roots, and numerous very steep and lively slides to traverse where the cairns are routinely swept away and the trail bed is not evident. Last time I was in there I had some sketchy moments skirting the edges of these slides. Not at all surprised by the broken leg. Very slow going. Cornice by comparison is a sidewalk. I'm sure the intent of this trail was to save time cutting over to Edmands Col but in reality it does not accomplish that at all. It reminds me of the Parapet Trail over on Madison. Sections of that trail are quite tedious. I'd rather go up over Madison.
Sounds fun actually. But I am usually disappointed...

Sounds fun actually. But I am usually disappointed...
I have a loop I've been doing the past few Autumns as follows: Caps Ridge > Link > Castle Trail > Cornice > Edmands Cut Off > Sphinx > Gulfside > Cornice > Caps Ridge. I try to time it later in day for a Caps sunset. About as rough and rugged as the Whites get but simply incredible views and terrain and you don't see many people. Edmands Cut Off is definitely a love/hate trail. I've sworn I'd never do it again I believe 3 times now... :)

It reminds me of the Parapet Trail over on Madison. Sections of that trail are quite tedious. I'd rather go up over Madison.
Yup! After a long day doing Madison Gulf then hitting Adams, we thought skipping Madison by using Parapet was a good idea. It may have taken a couple tenths of a mile to realize this was not the right choice. Knowing how easy, comparatively, going over Madison would have been. I rolled an ankle pretty good that I'd broken 3 years prior.