Mt Jefferson & Mt Washington (Jewell & Gulfside). 10 March 2013.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diapensia

Reaction score
Mt Jefferson & Mt Washington (Jewell & Gulfside). 10 March 2013.

With the rain forecast for Tuesday, this report may not apply for too long.

Trail Conditions:
Jewell Tr: packed snow and in great shape
Trails on Clay, Jefferson, Washington (Jefferson shortcut and Gulfside): packed powder, great snow conditions, firm with give and the little ice there was was easy to work around. Some rocks peeking out, but all mostly covered so no issues navigating the summits with snowshoes.
Cog Railway: lots of ski traffic, packed and hard up high, very soft down low. The railway tracks are all visible so the skiers had to stay on one side or the other.

Special Equipment Required:
Some form of traction. I wore snowshoes the entire day, and the crampons just got a ride in my pack.

Comments:
Weather was fantastic, and the snow nearly perfect; I couldn't have asked for better conditions. From Jewell to Jefferson and back Gulfside was really, really pretty with snow and rime. Not that many people either. I was expecting it to be packed, but it wasn't, so maybe everyone was over in Tuckerman since the avalanche conditions there were much improved today over yesterday.