Mt. Jefferson via Jewel, Gulfside, and Jefferson Loop Trails

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumblehome88

Reaction score
A few years ago I was able to emerge from the trees on the Jewel Trail and make a bee-line for Sphinx Col. I didn't make the summit due to high winds. I hoped to do the same today and complete my W484k. But the snow was neither deep enough nor solid enough for a direct route to the Col. So I kept going on the Jewel to its junction with Gulfside, then to the Col and up to Jefferson. As many know, this means a good deal of elevation gained and then quickly lost only to regained going up Jefferson and a longer hike to the Col. I used snowshoes to the Col and really appreciated the televators. Switched to Hillsounds for the ascent of Jefferson. At the summit in the fog with high winds and cold temps, 6 others appeared. 4 from a Randolph cabin and 2 behind me. One of these men also completed his W484k on Jefferson. We exchanged congratulations and all went their own ways. I used Hillsounds to the Col, turned to see that Jefferson was now in the clear, then snowshoes for the unwelcome ascent up Clay, then Hillsounds to the lot. On the way down I tried to get a photo of a gray jay eating from my hand and put a small piece of my sandwich down to hold peanuts in my hand. But instead of the nuts, the bird took the sandwich. A great ending to a long project.