Mt Madison via Valley Way, Osgood Trail - 12/15/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCarter

Reaction score
Trail Conditions: trail clear for first 2 miles or so, then scattered snow, and some icy patches. Higher up, trail covered with ice in many places. Used light traction for upper half, to the Hut. Caught a spike on the way up the summit cone, and broke the rubber rand where on of the side chains attach (Mil-Spec Ice crampons - Hillsound knock-offs). Barebooted up & down the summit cone, only a few icy spots, very little snow. Switched to Hillsound TCPs at the hut, and wore them for the descent (absolutely necessary) until about halfway down.

Weather was fantastic - clear, 20s, almost no wind. The summit was breezy, but there was no need to pull out the goggles & mask.

Special equipment required: light traction. The TCPs were actually overkill, but with the busted traction, it as my only choice (usually I *also carry microspikes in addition to the others, but not today)

Saw only one other hiker on the trail -- he passed me while I was at the hut having a pre-summit snack and gear change, and then we passed again as he came off the summit as I was headed up.