Mud and Rainbows on Isolation 6/27

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curious1

Reaction score
I've been reading trip reports on here for a year now and have been waiting for a good hike to write my first. Met DoubleBow and three others for a hike to Isolation Saturday morning. 9:30 am - bit of a late start for a long hike but I don't know if I could have got up earlier than 4:30 to make it there! The weather was questionable for the day with showers and thunderstorms predicted so DoubleBow had asked that we bring a sense of humor, sandals and a canoe.:) I really should have brought the canoe!! We started up Rocky Branch Trail and though it was humid, the weather was nice with a slight breeze. Almost flat trail (though lots of water on the trail) had us feeling relaxed and mellow until the thunder and pouring rain came and we hustled to Rocky Branch Shelter #2. First stream crossing was about knee level for most of us but went well. In the shelter thunder was really close and the rain came down hard, good timing for us to eat lunch and change out of wet socks. With sun coming out in spots and the rain stopping we headed for the summit, two of us very smart hikers in sandals (see pics)!

The mud and water on the trail got deeper from there, it was like walking up a stream bed. After a few more deep stream crossings in the rain we were all quite wet. Those in boots were giving up avoiding mud and puddles and just going through, us in sandals were acting like kids playing in the mud! I had the pleasure to meet LRiz on the trail and also Trish and Alex on the summit (not sure but think they were with another VFTT hiker). The rain stopped when we got to the summit and DoubleBow made a rainbow for us - those of you who know him know he said that!:rolleyes: Just another reason is it great to hike in the rain!!

Met a great guy doing trail work all day in the mud and rain on Isolation Trail- thanks Voyager!! Put his pic in a post too, he deserved a picture after all he did. Trail on the way down was a full river now, no more rocks to hop on, just trudging through the water and mud now. Stream crossings late in the day were now waist high and extremely fast moving - I wondered how Alex faired with those ( she is a trooper though). We didn't bother to take off boots for crossings anymore so that saved some time and the squishy sounds are always fun.:D After our last crossing it was getting dark, our headlamps went on and we made it to the cars at 11:45pm.

With every hike I find I learn something new; on this one I learned sandals are good in wet weather, wear a bathing suit under my hiking clothes when it is going to really rain would have been nice and I need a better headlamp!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Mud continued

Final two pictures of the day. Voyager doing trail work and the guys coming down in the dark. Good hikes do end with headlamps!

Thanks for posting the TR and making the trip so much fun! I was very glad we were able to do our hike in spite of the slightly damp conditions. ;) I'd never hiked over 8mi in Crocs before!

I'll say this, of my rounds of doing the 48, this one had the most interesting completion! So glad I had a great group of fun people to share in it with me!!

Hi Curious and DoubleBow -- it was very nice to meet you folks on the summit of Isolation! We would have stayed and lingered up there, but that one dark cloud had me worried. We had been through enough thunder and lightning that day...wanted to touch the cairn and then get back into the trees just in case.

We were hiking with MadRiver, who is a member of both VFTT and Rocks.

The river crossings....yowsa. MadRiver and I ended up going in up to our thighs and forming a human hand-bridge for Alex. She went on the highest rocks possible, and either MadRiver or myself held on to her tightly at all times. We all got very wet indeed...however, we had a lot of dry clothing within many plastic bags, which we changed into back at the shelter.

Congrats on your summit -- that was a tough one indeed!! Hope to meet you all again out there sometime.