Newbie gearing up - boot question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NH_Hiker64

Reaction score
Hello All - Newbie here starting to gear up for next spring. I'd like to start with a solid pair of boots and a reasonable snowshoe and do some day hiking in the rolling hills in Southern NH.

For the snowshoes, I figure to go up to one of the consignment shops and look for something lower priced to get thru this winter and then take a more serious look when I have some miles behind me and the winter winds are howling next year.

As for the boots....I read up some and tried many on. I really like the Montrail Torre GTX. But I have a couple questions:

I plan on doing lots of day hikes in the Whites and as I gather gear perhaps a couple over nighters nearer the end of summer.

Will these be suitable spring thru fall? Or are they too hot and heavy in the heat of the summer?
Are they ok for snowshoes, or do I want something else?

Thanks for the help and direction

-Pauly

Boot and Snowshoes

I feel that any Gortex-lined leather boot is fine for all summer use. I use no other. I use Vasque Sundowners in the winter in the White and Green Mountains unless there is an overabundance of snow -- in which case I use Sorel boots.

For hills in Southern NH, I suggest you get wood snowshoes. Don't get caught up in all the hype and sales pitch about aluminum 'shoes!

If you're only going out for a few hours in southern NH, I don't think it matters much which boot/snowshoe you get, except you just want to make sure the boots are waterproof.

I've got a pair of EMS boots, nothing special, they're not winter-insulated & the only time I've had a problem was the coldest day in 2003 when it was -20 F outside & I had to keep moving to keep my toes warm.

Gaiters are your friends, they'll help keep your socks & pants legs dry.